What chemicals to use for liquid fertilization?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by djschofield22, Aug 9, 2013.

1. djschofield22

djschofield22 LawnSite Member

Hi I recently installed this sprayer onto my mower. I was wondering the best fertilizers to use with this and how to mix them and what rate to spray it at? If someone could give me as much information about spraying fertilizers and chemicals I would appreciate it. Also if some one could tell me a fertilization program I can use with this sprayer I would appreciate. I want to add a program to my contracts.

Thanks

image.jpg

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, You cannot get enough water volume per thousand square feet out of that type of sprayer to effectively apply fertilizer. Put another way, you would have to keep going over a 5-8,000 square foot lawn repeatedly until you emptied the tank. Otherwise you will be faced with either putting down an insignificant amount of fertilizer or putting it down unsafely (huge likelihood of burning everything you spray).

That sprayer could work for spraying weeds - spot or blanket application - if carefully calibrated.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I like your mower though.

3. djschofield22

Well that sucks. I couldn't like go over the yard twice. Because I used it for spraying Weed killer on a large property and it worked well and seemed to spray plenty out and I could adjust how much to put out. Do you have any suggestions or upgrades I could do to be able to spray enough?

4. Deputy_Swan

Deputy_Swan LawnSite Member

Get a bigger pull type sprayer, we use Liquid Iron, Liquid Fertilizer, and a chemical called strike 3, which kills post weeds in turf grasses in our mix.

We run around with a 500 gal tank on a trailer, and plan on getting a Polaris UTV and 100 gal sprayer with booms

5. djschofield22

Yeah I'm not ready to get that big of equipment. Is their anyway I could get by using this for now?

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Best to buy an electric spreader for the back of your mower.

7. djschofield22

Okay I will look into that. Could you send me a fertilization program that you use?

8. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

lol if it was only that easy.

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to get licensed

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Are you just spraying your own lawn? Is it centipede, St. Augustine, Bermuda or Zoysia? Each required a different fertilize schedule and amount. Let us know before spraying anything. You'll kill centipede quickly even using wrong fertilize.