What chems can i use in the same tank?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Newby08, Feb 9, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me too it. Well said. I've used one tank for all apps. Never I'll repeat ever have I had a problem. Where do you guys get your info? Guys who sell tank sprayers?:dizzy: Your lucky if 2-4d kills a dandelion let alone a tree:laugh: The big feared Glyphosphate (round up) was originally a PGR. Lots of fear on here.

2. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

Until I know exactly what I'm doing, which I'm pretty sure will be a very long time from now, I think I'll stick to the better safe than sorry idea.

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree, clean the tank out a few times and flush the hoses real good. When I worked at the co-op I sprayed thousands of acres of fields with the same sprayer. You just have to run water through the system and clean it. Depending on the chemical sometimes tank cleaner is necessary.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Henry B,

I have been in the chemical business since 95 and also have an agronomy degree so I guess I would say that I am VERY COMFORTABLE with my knowledge and experience. But I still do not share tanks! Too much risk in my mind! I don't care what you know or how much you know...when you share tanks...you are asking for trouble IMO!

The only tanks I put chem in is my PG and BP sprayers. I have a BP for every product (which is only 3) 1 for herbs, 1 for insect and 1 for Gly.

I never cross them up so rinsing isn't an issue!

ATV,

Same here! Worked for the Co-op for about 6 years through HS and then College and full time for a coulple years.

Dealing with corn and beans is much different then spraying a lawn and then trees!

Did you ever spray Banvel on corn and then RINSE the sprayer REAL GOOD and spray beans? If you did...then you know what happens almost EVERY TIME! Cupped beans!

RULE #1 for most people is don't share a tank! Can it be done? HECK YES

Is it good practice? NO...especailly for newer guys!

Newby...you are definilty going to be smart "playing it safe"!

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

This isn't a pissing match. Use as many tanks as you like. I'm just giving my experience. I'm not saying you or anyone else should do as I. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I never questioned your knowledge so no reason to post your credentials. As a matter of fact you seem very knowledgeable.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree and I am not trying to make this a pee contest!

You are right, you can do it either way!

My point and why I stated my "credentials"....I am very comfortable with the products I use and have a great knowledge of understanding of them, but I still won't share tanks!

Just too much room for human error and unknowns can cost BIG $$$$$$!

Spray a lawn and rinse....then spray a mature Jap Maple or several and it could cost you a grand or 3 pretty quick! :cry:

Do this once and it was cheaper to buy designated tanks! Thats my only point!

I am not going to say I don't trust myself...but in the spring when I get busy I don't want to have to worry about it! :cool2:

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Oh come on Rodney I know you take the spray tank with the 2-4d in it and mix liquid fert to foliar spray your flower garden--lol:laugh:

8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

When in doubt (and even if you think you know), READ THE PRODUCT LABELS!!!!!