what cleaner do you use to clean mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stonebridge, Nov 18, 2012.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Rinse mower, spray with Totally Awesome, let sit few minutes, lightly wipe entire mower with wet cloth, rinse entire mower then blow off excess water.

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had good results with simple green.
    i pressure wazh at end of season, do full pm, spray down liberally with fluid film and tuck them in for the winter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My stuff gets washed with a scrub brush and Simple Green, after its blown off real good with compressed air. Not a fan of power washing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Once again, common sense should prevail. My Gravely manual doesn't recommend high-pressure water either, but obviously using the car wash wand on the leading edge of the deck, or engine cowling, or tires and wheels isn't going to cause any problems. The manuals are written to try to "idiot proof" the directions, just like many others (the instructions "remove before driving" on windshield sunscreens comes to mind. :))

If the manuals said pressure washing was okay, there would be those that would wash every nook and cranny and then wonder why they have electrical or other problems. My mowers have been on an exposed trailer going 55 mph during torrential rains numerous times, with no issues other than my butt getting wet when I get on the seat.

5. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never put water on any of my units, just blow off after every use, every now and then I may use compressed air but that is about it. I would stay away from water. But that is just me.

6. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used about every cleaner out there. The best one I have found is Mean Green Orange Cleaner. I dont wash the mower just blow it off and start using the cleaner. Have had alot of people ask me how I get my mowers to look new. Dollar General has it most of the time. It will take the grass stain right off.

7. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

thats what im looking for, thanks will try it

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone wax thier mowers?

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Another vote for purple power. I blow the debris off the deck, take a plastic drywall putty knife in the corners of the deck where crap builds up. Blow again, then take purple power non diluted and a rag and go to town. It cuts through all the greasy crap and grim...I then take a regular garden hose and remove debris.

I agree with MO turkey in that my mowers are in a open trailer and have been going down the road in Florida thunderstorms with no ill effects other than my butt getting wet upon arrival, so light car wash power washing of non critical parts such as the deck and tires and foot rest area will not hurt anything.

10. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

Does anyone wax thier mowers?

Yes I do wax my mowers. A couple times a year i will use a spay on quick detailer wax. Seems to help when I use a blower, after every cut.