what cleaner do you use to clean mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stonebridge, Nov 18, 2012.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Purple power here as well.... and yes I paint cars as a side.buisness.... the comments about "not ever making paint look as good as the factory powdercoat.." is nonsense.... I can paint 5x better than any powdercoat job.. powdercoat has its benifits but also drawbacks.... when powdercoats starts coming off or gets a worn spot... it comes off in flakes...not just a chip
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

I wash mine at least once a month. Purple Power, Simple Green, or any other de-greaser will remove the grass stains and mud from decks and tires. I spray the engine when cool and pressure wash it as well keeping the nozzle far enough away as not to cause damage to anything. These commercial units are built to beat the wet and washing is not going to hurt them. My Toro is 13 years old and looks better than most units I have seen pictures of on here that are a few years old. Granite, I am servicing only about 25 cuts a week doing it part time, but the way some of the folks equipment looks I can't believe they run. I guess if your upgrading every 3-4 years, appearance is no concern. All of my equipment is washed and serviced regularly. Just makes my rig look better from client yard to client yard. Some even ask if I just bought new equipment and are surprised when I tell them how old most of it is. But to each his own, I just prefer it clean. It also helps if I do develop a leak or problem, I can tell it before it gets out of hand where the dirt accumulates. :cool2:

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

How does the dirt accumulate if you keep it nice and clean? :hammerhead:

4. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree there is no way your getting your mower clean by just blowing them off. These are commercial machines and they can handle being washed with water and degreaser. As others mentioned I usually get close with the spray when I am doing the leading edge of the deck or wheels, obviously not going full strength at the engine but you shouldn't have to either.

6. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

Pressure washing it once a month gives it plenty time to accumulate plenty of dirt and grass stains. Of course where there's a little sticky dirt, you better check for a leak. So far, only the breather hole on the hydraulic reservoir it the only sticky dirt

7. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Pressure wash, then blow dry, then spray with a water resistant spray like wd-40 or some other lub. also carb cleaner or a pressurized can spray of engine cleaner or something like that for the cooling fins and carb and more sensitive area. Only do this a couple times a year, best thing to do is try to keep it clean, especially the engine, as far as the paint and stains, let it be.

8. zmelli

zmelli LawnSite Member

Simple green or an Auto wash soap.

9. Runner777

Runner777 LawnSite Member

I've found washing my Z would cause problems. I now have an air compressor with an extended air gun and this allows me to blow all the grass out and reduces friction. Mine is 2' long and can reach in areas that a blower will not.

10. kpouncil

kpouncil LawnSite Member

I to believe in taking care of my mowers and equipment, I guess this comes from my time in the Navy. The military preaches taking care of your equipment everytime you have down time. A clean machine is easy to spot when something is wrong. You can usually see where the leaks are coming from and pinpoint the problems.

When I drive down the street I see guys hauling their equipment and some of their equipment looks like its on its last leg. I know those guys are hard at work but those same guys takes some of the longest QT breaks. Instead of the long breaks I usually take my breaks at the car wash cleaning off my equipment at the end of the week. I never go a week without inspecting my equipment or cleaning it. I've had customers tell me I take good care of my equipment and hell I got new customers because of my nice equipment. If I owned a half a million dollar home. The last thing I want to see is my lawn service working on their equipment in font of my house and God forbid have their equipment leaking fluids on my driveway.

Our equipment is our livelihood and we should make sure we are taking care of the equipment and people that take care of us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014