What comes standard on Super Mini Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Michael Freeman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman LawnSite Member
    from tx

I was asking for a best price on a super Mini Z and the dealer started making me nervious about what he thought was standard and what was not standard. (He didn't stock Supers and would have to look it up to order)

I am assuming that the Super Mini Z comes standard with the 23" wheels, hour meter and the susp seat in at this time (4/2005), and my only factory options are mulch kit, bac vac, and hitch? (oh, standard, high lift, and gator blade options)

I was also curious if the dealer is forced to sale the unit at MSRP minus dealer rebate if they choose to comply with that program?

I was looking at the 52"/24hp honda Super Mini Z w/ mulch kit, hitch, and High lift blades. Any other suggestions for the ultimate lawn mower? I'm looking at the Bac Vac as a future purchase, but was going to see how the mulching worked first.

90% of the use will be on my home lawn and my parents lawn (total between both is maybe 0.8 acres some steep slopes in the back yards), 10% is huge front area (field) to family farm about 10 acres. Was looking at the Mini Z as an overkill option but wanted the susp seat, and though for a few hundred more I could get the Super Mini Z with all the upgraded pumps, fans, etc.

Would probably have gone with the 44" except for the limited trim ability. I assume if I have flower beds with curved (concave) flower beds, that the 6" overhang on the 52 was required to prevent leaving a strip of unmowed grass. (I want to be able to clean up with the string trimmer and retire the 21" push mower) I'm going to be redoing the flower beds with a rock boundary, but I want to keep the curved look.

All suggestions welcome.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

All our commercial units come with hour meters.
    The Super Mini has had 23" tires for over 2 years, so your not going to have a problem there, and all Supers have suspension seats.
    The dealer must sell the unit @ 1300 off MSRP to participate in the program.
    For the amount of grass your cutting, the Super Mini is going to be a great mower for you.

Pj

3. mike freeman

mike freeman LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Cool, that is what I thought, it was just the dealer kept saying "I don't think that is standard, I will have to look it up Monday", and that made me a little nervious.

I'm pretty excited about getting it. More then I need, but I've never bought something and told myself it has too much HP or too much power. I know with the Super Mini Z, I will have the best mower I could ever dream of owning.

One more question. Do the new Super Mini Z's come with a heat shield to help prevent burning the lawn when you stop?

I read that that was the solution to the old problem and wanted to know if those come standard now and if there was still a problem with stopping the Mini on the grass to open gates and move things out of the way as needed. (I prefer not to learn by experience unless I have to ;)

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No they do not.
    We are looking at other areas to change to prevent this from happening.
    There is a kit your dealer can call the factory and inquire about, order and install for you.

Pj

5. mike freeman

from DFW

I assume when you say other areas you are suggesting that the heat shield does not completely correct the problem or causes other secondary problems.

This will hopefully be the last mower I buy for 20 years or more, and I will have to open and shut gates during my mowing adventure so this worries me a bit.

What issues are there if I use the heat shield?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The heat shield does solve the problem.
    A possible issue with the heat shield is grass or leaves building up on it and possibly causing a fire.

Pj

7. mike freeman

from DFW

Yes, I could see where that could be a down side to the heat shield. ;)

I guess if I just blow off any grass after I finish for the day, I should be okay?

I really appreciate the honesty you have shown with the Hustler product. It makes it easier to trust in that all the positive information is also true and I think I will still be looking for a Super Mini Z as the best choice for me.

Hopefully, if Hustler finds a better solution then the heat shield I will be able to upgrade my Mini in the future.

8. mike freeman

from DFW

Well, my local dealer backed out on $7200 offer for the super Mini Z Saturday. He said he couldn't sale me one for less then $7800!!! This is actually above the MSRP w/rebate! The good news is I received a reply from tstrong (on this site) for a dealer down in Houston "Cypress Lawn and turf" (1 800 775 1574) so I gave them a call Saturday morning. They gave me a price of $6400 for the 52/24 honda I was ready to buy but after they checked their stock and called me back they had already sold that unit but at the 52/25 Kawi in stock for $6500. I've always trusted Honda, but couldn't pass up getting that mower for $6500. (a bird in the hand over two in the bush kind of deal)

Soooo, I am now the proud new owner of a Super Mini Z 52/25 w/mulcher kit, and every time I get in the seat, there is nothing but a big grin on my face.

FYI, This dealer is just north of Houston and had a very nice dealership, he asked me how much experience I had (that would be zero with a ztr), so he spent 30 minutes teaching me what to do and not to do, to get a good cut, etc. (this is after hours, and I know for a fact he still had to deliver another mower that he was delivering that day). I was totally impressed by service I received and my only wish was that he was located up here in Dallas. ;)

He had several red ones and a few other brands if that is your thing, but obviously, my money is on the yellow one. :)

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Cool!
    Welcome to the family!
    You will be grinning for many many years to come, your mower will treat you right!
    Dont be shy with the pics!

Pj

10. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

Michael, Congrats on the new mower ! If you're like me, cutting grass has never been this much fun.
    By your post it seems you would have preferred a Honda powered unit. When I bought mine I was trying to get a Kawasaki powered unit, so I thought I would make you an offer: my unit(approx. 14 hours) and $300 for yours. If this interests you, please e-mail me at tstrong@gpaccessory.com. :waving:
    Enjoy your new toy...oops I mean mower. Tom