what commercial lawn mower is better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WSLService, Mar 19, 2002.

1. WSLService

WSLService LawnSite Member

I was woundering what most people prefered on types on lawn mowers, because I am going to buy a 36" commercial walk mower. I was looking at buying an exmark, lesco, snapper, or scag, that is used for about $1,500. Which is a more reliable machine that i can depend on this summer. I had a snapper for a very long time and i'm leaning towards buying it should I or get something else?
  2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

you will probably get many different answers about your post. I personally prefer my exmark wb over my toro. those mowers are about as tough as they come.

good luck in whichever one you buy
  3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

I currently have a two walk behinds, a Honda and a Deere, both have been very dependable. Coming from Alaska we don't have many other brands availiable up there (Scag, Exmark, lesco). We do have a Gravly/Deere dealership and a Snapper dealer but they are relativly new and the product hasn't really can out. Back to my mowers, i really like my Deere it has been flawless and has a osolating deck (a deck that moves w/ the terrain) that is excellent. But the down side is that it was very expensive, much more than the honda. It is the only mower i own that is not a Honda( 1 walk behind, 5 21"HRC216 push mowers, all hydrostatic drive, i won't buy any thing else) What ever you buy make sure it is Hydro
    Good Luck AK Lawn
  4. Craftsmen Pro 33" Best mower ever made.

It all boils down to dealer support.

My brand of choice is below my post.
  5. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer support is a plus...

My dealer is a Toro dealer & his support is awesome !!!!!

Hope this helps... Go Toro

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

1.) Buy new. A toro (exmark) is only 1899.

2.) Buying a used, fixed deck 36" belt drive mower, they're basically all the same, just comes down to engine preference and condition.
  7. TLC Lawn And Landscape

TLC Lawn And Landscape LawnSite Member

I agree that dealer support is a big plus. I've been using Deere walkers, riders and Z Equipment for 10 years now. You can't beat the quality, craftmanship and service. Bigger the better when it comes to size.
  8. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Snapper walk-behind with a 12 1/2 horse Kawasaki. Being our first commercial walk we went cheaper and got a gear drive with a fixed deck. This is, in fact, the least fancy walk-behind (excluding "push" mowers) Snapper sells. I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra bucks, new or used, to get one with hydros. All I do is shift gears. Also consider a floating deck. The distance from the front casters to the drive tires on a walk-behind is big enough that it might "hop" over things (like tree roots) better with one. Electric start is sweet too. As for what brand to buy I'm not sure. The other guys have a good point about dealer reliability. If you go with the Snapper the grass catcher frame for it also fits on Snapper ZTR's, and the blades for the 36 interchange with 52" ZTR's- including Ninja blades.:blob4:
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:cry: :cry: :cry:

eXmark is my choice. I changed over to 100% eXmark in 2000. Never regretted it for 1 minute.
  10. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

All are good mowers but if you are talking used i would be more concerned with hour and the shape it is in plus availability.