1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What company makes a

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ceaman, Jan 28, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

When I went to the Louisville, Ky trade show I remember seeing a walkbehind with a folding deck to get you thru the gate.... Do any of you know who made them or does anyone have experience with one....

I just got word that I have a 2.5 acre fenced in area that wants a bid but they only have a 34" gate opening. The previous owner, who has always mowed it in the past, kept a seperate rider in the fence. I told them they should put in a 8' gate they said .... well maybe... but bid it like this first and we will see....
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The mower is a Great Dane Gateway. Search for past posts.
    Put the fence with 8' gate in. That would be much cheaper than buying a walk behind. BTW it won't go througha 34" opening...36.5 is the tightest I have made it through.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

2.5 Acres....ALL FENCED IN???? What do we need to do to get these fence companies to install larger gates!!??? For that size, it should be mandatory for an 8 footer. For most other 1/4 to 1/2ac areas, there shoud be at least a 6 footer. Cant be all that much difference in gate sizes. Still the same # of hinges and hardware. I just dont get it!

Oh well no sense loosing sleep over it!

As for that particular account, I'd bid sky high and forget about it. If they accept, at least your getting a good buck for it!
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

How do you like the Grate Dane Gateway? I need to do something and was thinking of that unit.

5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at the cost difference in putting in a new gate for the customer vs. buying a new high dollar walk behind just to do that one back yard. I have installed several gates in order to use my shortcut on some rather large yards that are fenced. The way I look at it I can write it off and I get the account. I know there is a chance of being burned by a customer so I only do it to the customers that agree to a 12 month agreement. Hope this helps.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with LGF! Get a flex deck. Better money spent.
  8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will email you...don't want to hear all the crap about the flex deck.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LGF & 65hoss, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Flex Deck isn't available for any w/b's....(yet), so I don't follow why you would suggest it as an option?
    I wish it were (and I wish it were a little cheaper), but I don't know if I want to sit around waiting for it when it could be a couple years.

A Gateway might be a consideration in the mean time for me.
    Again, make sure you correct me if I'm wrong.
  10. It should be readily available by mid March.