What conditions 4 Emarald Zoysia??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Aug 25, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

This might sound like a stupid question to you guys but we don't have Zoysia grass here.
    I wan't to know if I can grow Emerald Zoysia ?

2. pinnacle

Someone must Know. I've done a search and found nothing on growing condtions.I have seen photos of this grass that Kirbyslawn posted and It looks like nothing I have seen before.
    We have pretty boring varietys down under and I think I might start selling seed on a web site down here as there is big holes in thr entire green industrie in Australia.
    I would be intrested on anything anyone had to say on growing your turf varietys in Australia.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have no idea...maybe you could get a few strips of sod express mailed down there and try it.

4. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not expert on zoysia and don't have time to look up more info on it right now, but do have some knowledge and experience...

Its growth habit and conditions are similar to bermuda - probably will grow wherever bermuda does (grows in Oklahoma). It is a little more shade-tolerant than bermuda, but not as much as fescue. Supposedly requires less water, less fertilizer and less mowing than bermuda. Can be very attractive. Supposedly forms thatch easily (I have not seen this in my limited experience with it). Turns brown and goes dormant for the winter with the first frost and takes a while to green up in the spring. I think it is most commonly started with sprigs rather than with sod or seed. Like bermuda, it spreads by stolons and rhizomes. In many places where I've read about it, they mention that this is the grass advertized in the back of magazines as a "miracle grass". But if it really was a miracle grass, I would think there would be a lot more of it. I suspect it is expensive to get going and another drawback is the long period when it is not green (in most climates). Also it is very thick and is famous for keeping weeds out due to its thickness. Though I am having problems with some type of clover (hopclover, I think) spreading through a patch of it.

5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

It grows well in climate zones 8, 9 ,10. And you can get it in seed now.

6. pinnacle

Thanks Yardmonkey Tbarchaser

Are zones 8,9,10 very hot or?

It gets hot here so dose it like hot weather?

I have found someone that will supply me but its expencive so I just want to be sure.

Thanx

7. KirbysLawn

Emerald Zoysia? Where?

8. J-mike

J-mike LawnSite Member

There is an article on Zoysiagrass in the August Turf magazine on page A6. Talks about seed finally being available.

9. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

10. KirbysLawn

That's what I was thinking, the only way to get emerald is by sod...makes you wonder how it started...