what consists of a spring cleanup?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jay albers, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jay albers

jay albers LawnSite Member

Had my first spring cleanup last week. I raked all the leaves in the yard,the beds, around the pool and shed.It came to about ten 55 gal bags. I hard raked the beds and went over the lawn with my zero turn scag to get some more leaves. I also trimed some bushes.It took 6 hrs by myself.I charged 125. I know,i know ,to little.What would be a good price? and did I do to much or to little. Ps customer was happy with job

2. Pennings Gardens

Pennings Gardens LawnSite Member

6 hour job an you charged 125?

$300 to $400 as long as you hustled to get it done.

3. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

6 man hours, I would have got 2 temps at $12.my little wonder 9hp blower. been done in 2 hours. $48 dollars in temp labor, $70 for myself, $20 for use of scag, $20 for little wonder and $10 disposal..for a total of $168 + sales tax, and on to the next yard.

4. borwicks

I would have got 3 similar yards cleaned up in the same time you did 1. for a total of $504, $360 after paying temps, and still have time to do 3 more before dark. so that could have been $1008 gross or $720 after paying temps..you would have got 2 yards done and $250..

I started using temps, when your doing cleanups get at least 2 and keep them working in different areas so there not chatting.

5. lawn_guy

lawn_guy LawnSite Member

We bill spring and fall clean-up at $40/hr, per man. Also charge a disposal fee of $30 in most cases. Some customers think that's too high, but we have plenty of work to do.

6. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

what are temps? and why are you bagging your leaves? are you a homeowner? atleast put them on a tarp and put them on your trailer. You wont be in business for long if you keep charging $125.00 for 6 hrs of work. I wouldnt even do work for that cheap for family.

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

You will get used to the pricing over time, The industry "avg' is probably $35 a man hour for labor. More for solo, less for 2 or three man crews. So for an avg 6 hr job your total should be around $210. You probably should charge more for use of machinery, trimming bushes etc.
    As far as doing too much or to little, that is totally up to you and your agreement(contract) with the customer. Some of our spring clean-ups are as little as $100(simple mowing and blowing out beds etc.) and some with mulching are as high as $5K(cleaning all debris, redefining beds, trimming shrubs, fertilizer, mulch, pansies etc.)
    Good Luck

8. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Without seeing the job it's hard to tell. Sounds like you went about things the hard way. In the absence of a leaf loader, my partner would have blown out the beds and around the pool and shed while I ran the z with the bagger and picked the leaves up. Probably wouldn't have even brought a rake. Depending on the kind of leaves, I'd say your 50 bags would have had the volume of 15 bags after they were chopped. Bags are a pain so I just loose dump in the truck.
    If I had to guess, based on the incomplete info in your post, I'd say 2 hours and $240.00 + tax and $30.00 + tax for disposal. I don't know how many bushes or what kind so I can't comment on that. Average bush, 4 feet tall, 4 feet across, $10.50 per. But that is just an educated guess based on experience. I'm in the midwest so rates may be a little different.
    Don't worry. It was your first and now that you have one under your belt, you will know a little better on how to bid and how to engage the next cleanup. After a few hundred you will just look at the job and know what to charge and how to engage the job without even thinking about it. Oh, and the refusals, because the customer thinks you are too high priced, will be easier to take because you know what you need to make it worthwhile to do the job. And you will still always have enough work because you aren't working for free.Never ever work for less than you are worth.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I would not not have trimmed any shrubs AT ALL! That is part of your pruning quote. You gave that away for free. Quote pruning seperately. Think about it... cleanup... pruning. Two different things. I'll bet the customer was happy. The bigger problem is that next year, they will expect the same, and at the same price.

That sounds like a $200 cleanup to me. 10 fifty five gallon bags is a lot of debris. 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Last year, my first, I did the same thing, so don't feel like you are the only one to under bid a job like that. You will learn as you go. I did.

Yes, you did too much for too little, but it sounds like you were more concerned with making the place look great. THAT, IMO, is what will make you successful in the long run. I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

10. borwicks

Whitey4,
    awesome last line. THAT, IMO, is what will make you successful in the long run. I think you are on the right track. Good