What could be wrong with this mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iheartJMS, Oct 30, 2011.

1. iheartJMS

iheartJMS LawnSite Member

So I am looking at getting a walk behind (on a tight budget!) and came across a John Deere HD45. It seems a little older but it's pretty clean with only little rust. The engine runs great, but the current owner told me that the blades do not engage. He says he thinks that is just a $20 toggle switch that needs replacing. What do you think could be wrong with it? Should I buy it?

He is willing to sell it to me for $200.

2. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

If it is just a toggle switch, wire the 2 togther and if it engages then its just the switch. If not then its something else.

Calvin

3. iheartJMS

I would do that, but I'm about an hour and a half away from him so I'm not sure what to do. He said in a text message that is either the toggle switch (he says more than likely) or the electric clutch..

4. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

For $200 bucks I wouldn't be waffling around, I would just buy it. It could be as simple as the operator presence switch, pto switch, clutch needs adjustment if it is an adjustable clutch which the older JD's had.

5. iheartJMS

I think I'll be picking it up on Tuesday :)

StihlMechanic, you better walk me through this! lol

Worst case scenario, what could be wrong with it?

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the clutch....

try to wire around the switch to test it out.....

7. rwar

rwar LawnSite Member

I had one of those,bought it when it was new.There was some sort of relay that caused the blades to not engage.I replaced it twice in two years.

8. NaturalIntegrity

NaturalIntegrity LawnSite Member

I did the electric clutch on my Toro 44" walkbehind and it was $500. Just FYI

9. lightninglawn

lightninglawn LawnSite Member

I have owned several Deere walk behinds and they have two relays that go bad pretty often when dirt and all gets in them. I have also replace the switches. I never had to replace the clutch but even if you had to replace the clutch, $200 is a steal on that mower.