1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gandk06, Mar 23, 2009.

1. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

2. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster LawnSite Senior Member

Probaly just needs spark plug cleaned or a carb cleaned. If they have been sitting for awhile the carb is probaly just dirty.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I wouldn't offer more then a $100 for them if that. With out a doubt they will probably run again. Maybe $200 if they start up and run.
  4. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

(QUOTE)I am not a mechanic
    That gave it away to me. He has an exhaust pipe and batt. in the back of his truck, He messes around with some things but not others? Guessing they sat to long with fuel in them, Or they were run with straight gas? I would go there with a compression gauge and see if they have any. If not say thanks and walk away. but i have some stuff from people like that that said they are junk and i pulled the plug and replaced and they still are running years later... Offer $100
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The problem? They are Stihl...meaning there is no problem at all. A squirt of ether, and they will probably both fire right up. The plugs are probably just fine...these things can just be cold blooded. many times, they are run lean on the low end to begin with, so this certainly contributes to the hard starting. I'd jump on it.
  6. gandk06

I just find it strange that they both won't run. I e-mailed him an offer. I will have to see what happens.
  7. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

Could be a bunch of things, They may turn into a basketcase. Could be no spark,bad gas, carburetor issues. Dunno
  8. gandk06

Bad gas is what I am thinking. 2 machines that worked last year but not this spring.

would be nice if that was all it is.
  9. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

im bettin straight gas wouldnt be the first
  10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

haha..the dude probably stole them and now trying to sell them..they sure look clean though! like others said, gas sitting gummed up the carbs. ya...$ 100.00 cash