What could have done this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bull, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures. I went to cut one of my lawns on Friday and the customer comes out to make me aware of some holes that have been made in her yard. For the past three days we have had a good slow soaking rainfall totaling almost two inches. When I looked at the holes they appeared to be probably a hundred or more in her yard and they seemed to be located under or around the tree canopy. Almost every tree had some of these holes under them. At first it appeared that something with a nose similar to a possum had rooted into the ground in search of something but the more holes I looked at I noticed that some of them were deep. They all seem to be about 1" or so in diameter and the only grass disturbed is just what came out of the hole itself. It does not appear that anything was clawing at the ground. Each hole also has a small amount of dirt mounded up on one side of the hole not all the way around the hole. I cannot figure out if something went in the ground or came out of the ground. I have never seen this before. Any ideas?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Cicadas? There are more then just the 17 year variety.

3. Bull

from NC

Richard, if it is cicada's are they coming out of the ground after wintering or going in the ground?

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is a shot in the dark.......could the holes be made from water dripping down continuously from the same place on the tree? I have seen that same type of thing around the outside of houses that do not have gutters. The water just drips and drips down to the same spot, eventually making a hole.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My guess would be a skunk in search of grubs but not sure

6. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Grasscutter. I have witnessed skunk, raccoons, etc forage for grubs and when they dig they leave a mound of dirt to once side. This all takes place at dusk. Was the any indication of the grubs? Does the grass come up easily? Have the grass roots been eaten?
    Mark

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe moles. You would probably see some tunneling close to the surface though. I have a customer that has them real bad, very hard to get rid of.

8. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

if the homeowner has noticed crows on her lawn alot they too are looking for grubs. So if there are grubs then the holes are most likley from a skunk.

9. MPH

MPH LawnSite Member

Here's an unlikely possibility. I had a friend whose property had a really high water table. Her entire back yard was infested with crawdads. I couldn't believe it... not in NC, but that's what it was. Never did find a solution to the problem.
    Megan

10. Bull

from NC

Thanks everyone so far but I still feel like it must be something else. Some of the holes appeared to be 6" deep or more. I couldn't actually see the bottom of any them. They all appeared to go more or less in a straight down direction. There has not been any problems with moles such as the tunnels most are familiar with and the sod is not torn up like something was digging out grubs.