What could I tell someone to delay aeration?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Vikings, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Spring clean up here in the north just started. I got 30,000 flyers going out over the next two weeks (this sunday and next), primarily for Power raking.

I also advertised Aeration but I don't have an aerator. Worse case I rent one out and do everyone at once but..

I thought I read here that first thing in spring isn't a good time to aerate anyway, something about giving the weeds a head start. Is this true and if so can anyone expand on this? I'm looking for a legitimate reason to delay it for a month or so, so I can buy one.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I tell people its too wet in the spring to pull a good plug, fall is the best time to aerate.

3. Vikings

from canada

Man, around here people are advertising aeration and yard clean up combos.

4. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

It is Ok to wait a while, because later on you will be aerating when the roots are growing well and the turf has a firm hold. Do it too early and you risk tearing it up. Aerating can bring dormant weed seeds to the surface, but it will do that any time of year. Spring and fall, when the roots are actively growing, are the best times to aerate. You don't want to do it in the summer

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It should be fine to start on them in another week or two but fall is the best. We did one yesterday and it pulled the plugs out just fine.

Good Luck!!!

6. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

It would be fine if he had an aerater by then wouldn't it.

7. Ultimatelawncareinc

Ultimatelawncareinc LawnSite Member

spring or fall is fine why not push it now if people want it, it's money right just wait to the yards are not wet or spongy your going to have to do alot of yards to get your money back though i think i paid like $3,500 for mine.

8. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

He wants to wait a month or so he could buy one. If he had one now he would be using it. Doesn't want to rent one so trying to stall his costomers with a legit reason.

9. Vikings

from canada

EXACTLY:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

"Mr. Smith, we schedule spring aerations in mid-May. Can I put you on the list?"

If he thinks that's too late, simply tell him you are booked solid with other services until then, and let him find someone else.....