What could it have been?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, Jun 8, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I had a yard that I dont do the fert of pest but do mow. Earlier this spring there were several spots in the yard that were circular and brown. While the rest of the grass was a rich dark green. It is bermuda. I thought it could have been spring dead spot. However the grass in those spots have come around and now the whole yard is a uniform color. I am just wondering what it could have been. I am a licensed certified applicator.

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

What is the grass type? Were the spots perfectly circular? How big were they? Etc ...

3. spcfoor

It is bermuda grass. The spots varied in size from softball size to maybe 2 ft in diameter. I would say they were about as perfect circle you could get in grass.

4. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I guess I was a little tired when I posted ... I see that you posted it's bermuda the first time. Sounds like spring dead spot to me too ... did the grass inside the circles come back, or did it run back into the circles from outside the circles? Either way, sounds like you've got the result you need.

5. spcfoor

It looks to me as though it came back. I didn't see where the bermuda surrounding the spots moved in.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Very likely that you saw Spring Dead Spot. I'd bet the house on that.

That lawn WILL indeed have the same problem next year unless something is done this Fall.

Send a message to the folks doing the apps:

Do not apply Nitrogen after September 15.
    Apply a fungicide in September to prevent SDS next Spring.

7. spcfoor

I will be taking over the applications next year when their current contract is up. What fungicide will take care of sds? I thought I read somewhere that there was really not effective fungicide for sds. Am I wrong or right? Thanks for the info.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Fungicide can help prevent SDS, not cure it once it occurs.