What could this be?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Xcessiv, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Xcessiv

Xcessiv LawnSite Member

There seems to be enough irrigation. No pets around. No white grubs. :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

First few look like dollarspot fungus. What kind of grass is this?
    Brown rings look more like necrotic ring spot.

3. Xcessiv

Xcessiv LawnSite Member

Thanks!

Typical cool season grass (kentucky, ryegrass, etc).

So a shot of EAGLE 20 EW would probably help?

4. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Chinch bugs?

5. RigglePLC

6. Xcessiv

Xcessiv LawnSite Member

Bringing back this old topic, I tried Eagle, improved my watering and fertilizing strategy, but I think I lost control. :confused:

[​IMG]

Is this salvageable or if it's pretty much a "remove everything & start over from scratch"?

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Time to start over how well does Turf type fescue grows up there I would stay away from KB and that Rye

8. Xcessiv

Xcessiv LawnSite Member

Fescue isn't very popular here, KB/Rye are the most popular for this climate. :( I'll try to find what resists better to fungus and is appropriate for this climate.

It's a case of compost + overseeding, or removing the existing dead layer (2-3 inches) first?

9. RigglePLC

Looks like necrotic ring spot to me.

Opinions vary.
    I suggest: kill it, mow short, strip off old sod, till the soil, sow seed with a top-quality disease-resistant mixture. Sow modern seed. Only varieties introduced in the last 15 years. Midnight or better.
    By seeding disease resistant types and by planting 3 different species of grass, the risk of disease is greatly reduced. Rye and fine fescue are not much affected by the disease.
    For example:
    http://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100002/ss5000-sunny-mixture?zip=49788&type=sunny

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/02900.html

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Look your area up Showing Red Fescue being most popular seed for sunny areas
    If you lawn is in sun over half the day might try it
    Down here Fescue is all I sale
    Only lawns I have to treat for fungus is KB or Rye lawns
    2 years ago I did a repair the lawn looks like yours does I put in Fescue fix the problem now the neighbor his lawn looks like yours and He wanting his lawn done

Riggle has the best plan but after you mow it Take bleach and wash your mower on your mower and in the deck
    I try to educate other companies that mows lawns that has a disease is to wash there mower before mowing the next lawn Mowers can spread it to other lawns.