What credit card do you put gasoline on?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stuttering Stan, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used American Express for 2 years now but I am looking for something that give me cash back. Can anyone recommend a credit card or similar means of payment? If this has already been discussed too much, anyone have a link?

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have one chase visa card we get 3% cash back on any purchase.. but i just read something in the mail the other day that our Amex gives us 5% cash back, gotta research that more...

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I just got a Visa from my bank(Dollar Bank) It has a 1.25% cash back, it was tough for me to get a credit card since I am only 18. But I am happy with it

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

American express business plantinum card gives me back 5% for gas and a smaller percentage back on all other purchases. I have been get anywhere from 100-150.00 a month in cash back every month. Also has no annual fee.

5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Capital One for flyer miles or Discover for cash back. :usflag:

6. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

In my first two years of business I put gas on a GM Mastercard that built up points toward a down payment on a new GM vehicle. Used them up this year for a 2008 Silverado. Now we have a house account with a local oil distributor so that my guys can get gas and ice and sign a ticket and I don't have to be there.

I am thinking of getting a gas tank at my shop. For those who have them how much time do you think it saves you each day. I see my guys go into the gas station and get a couple of Red Bulls and have to stand in line to sign the ticket for their gas purchases. Sometime it takes them up to 15 minutes to get out of there. With three 3 man crews that adds up over the course of a week.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

cash back, points .. etc etc is all complete garbage and i cannot believe people buy into it. if you dont have the money and need to borrow, go for lowest apr,
    period.

i buy gas with my debt card with MY money.

i used amex for a few mowers, sitting at 3.9% for 3 years and will be since i get more in a savings account than paying that off lol

8. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

My Credit Union Debit Card is all I use now. Back in the day I used a credit card got my 3% back on a 12% intrest rate. Doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.

3 guys standing at the gas station for 15 minutes = 45 minutes of labor. Which actually means 1.5 hours of labor, because if they weren't standing in line to get their Red Bull, they could be mowing for you. Which is 7.5 hours a week if you work them 5 days. Which is 30 hours a Month. If you pay your guys $10 an hour that is $300 a month you are loosing filling up your tanks with fuel!

I put a 50 gallon tank with a hand crank pump in my lawn mowing truck. I fill it up on Tuesday when I meet my guys at the gas station. During the week, my crew chief fills up the mowers at night before he goes home. Takes 5 minutes. I would rather pay 1 guy 5 minutes a day then 3 guys 15 minutes a day. If they run your truck, mount the gas can in the bed. Lock it if you don't trust them or others to steel it. Give the key to one guy.

9. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

My feeling is Credit is for buying mowers or other items you need but cant come up with all the money at once. Gas, soda, beer, ice, lunch should not ever be put on a credit card. Even if you pay that card off each month it still isnt worth the headache of losing the card or " I need this" type of purchases i have had alot of those moments where it was raining and i headed to the store and bought stuff i will never use more then once. Credit card companies are Good If used correctly, but bad if you lose accounts all of a sudden, or even if you get injured and cant pay.. Debit or house account paid weekly for fuel is the only thing i do..

10. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

stick with the Amex, you can only spend what you can afford since they don't offer financing. Their points are good to since you can use them for everything! I put everything that I can on there, put the money aside, pay it at the end of the month, and every year I get enough points to go away for FREE. In my book you can't beat it, a free vacation for spending money that has to be spent to run my business.