What cultivar of st. Aug.

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tri-City Outdoors, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

Well, 1st off I did not have the camera so no pic. Sorry!
    Got a sod job coming up. Installing next to established S.A. But I am unsure what cultivar it is. They homeowner's have been cutting it to short even for a dwarf variety. About 2". The blades are fine unlike a floratam. More of a lime green opposed to dark green! It was a long day and should have looked at it better & brought the camera. The job is a hour drive (round trip). Any suggestions? TIA!
  2. Yea, don't go to England.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

1. Some cultivars are more responsive to fertilizer than others but Color is not a good criteria for determining cultivar.

2. Dwarf Cultivars that are stunted by mowing or lack of Fertilizer will grow lower and slower.

3. location of the turf and approx age might be a CLUE and you may be able guess if you know the history of that region.

4. The Dwarf Cultivar with a Very Fine texture is Jade. followed by Seville with just a tad bigger texture and then Delmar with a little bit bigger texture. but these of course are just possible guesses.
  4. Tri-City Outdoors

The job is located in Daytona Beach. The old sod is about 6-8 years old. I'm thinking Seville. When I pick up the down payment Ill take a pic.
  5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

With the location and the lighter color description you have given, could it not be palmetto?
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

He said FINE BLADE.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well, everything is fine compared to Floratam ;) Palmetto would seem a likely find in Volusia county, but the color he described does sound more like Seville.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

There are or were a lot of Seville Sod Farms on or near the East Coast. Too many people call Floratam, Crab Grass. Seville was real popular at one time because of the fine blade that didn't look like Crab Grass.
  9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Must be a heck of a sod job to drive an hour each way!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Tri-City Outdoors

30 min each way!