what customers do to save a dollar.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnwizards, Jul 30, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

had a regular customer call and want his gutters cleaned out. well, we get there and take out the ladder and look. they are completely full. about 60 feet of em. i quote her him 75 dollars. he balks at the price and say "all we ever paid before was $50". so, the smart azz i am, i say, " is the company that did it last, are they still in business"? he replies, "well, you all did it". i told him that it wasn't us and that we could just do the back gutter for 50. he says, "no, all i can afford is 50 for all" . "you all did it last time for 50 and there isn't near as much debris in the gutters" i wanted to ask if he climbed his old azz up there and checked to make sure. brand new Mercedes in the garage and a 5000 sq ft. house, retired might i add. anyone else get people like this? oh, by the way we call this guy needle **** as in waterboy..:laugh:

edit reason--language

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody had them Randy, you're not alone my friend. :laugh:

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If the customer is that adamant and I am there with a ladder up against the house--then I do the job for 50$
    I would have asked him the size of the home before going and given him the minimum rate for that size home. You really don't need to see the content of the gutters. Too time consuming to drive to a home and get out the ladder and climb up there and give estimates. 5000 sq ft would be no less than 75$ anyway.

4. lawnwizards

sometimes you have to stick to your guns. if i would've compromised this time then what happens next? besides i had some trimming jobs that paid very well that was just up the street. no time lost, really.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You did the right thing,cleaning gutters is easy till you get up on a two story and it's worth charging,typical for residentials always wanting to tell you how to price your work and how to do your job stick to your price bottom line.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The next time you tell them over the phone 75$ minimum for a 5000 square foot home. I don't like to cut prices either.
    When I was new and desperate, I did 2 story homes, but not anymore. Just too risky. I always ask too before going if the roof is flat enough to walk on.
    I don't get many calls for this any more since gutter guard came out.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the small amount of customers that I have are usually pretty good. I had one lady that I quoted her $50 for her lawn. It was a fair quote, the lawn was good sized. I told her that the $50 would be weekly and she asked me if she could do $50 bi-weekly or as needed. Right there I should have been suspicious. I said ok. Four weeks into the job she asked me if I could do it every three weeks, I said no because the account was really starting to become a PITA. Then she asked if she could pay me by the inch. If the grass needed 6" cut she would pay me something like $45. I just laughed and said no way. I dropped that account. She wanted me to bag it and if I had to come and cut that much grass and bag it, it was just not worth it to me.

8. lawnwizards

thats a good idea about the minimum over the phone. as for the gutter guards, they have them on their gutters and they still are full. go figure...:laugh:

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your print out last years invoice from the computer and show him what he payed....:)

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

only had a few regs do this crap now they are ex regs.i think it a total lack of respect on their part to pull that.i have told these people that they are better off contacting charity organizations if they are a little hard up finacially