1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What customers of yours get the axe for next year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zz4guy, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Are any of you cutting some PITA customers or properties come next year?

Most of my customers are good, but I'm going to dump some of the farther away ones. By the time I add in drive time and gasoline to haul 8000lbs around, it just isn't worth it.

Probably going to cut 3 of mine. Two because they're too far away and one because I it's also too far away and I underbid it.

I've also got a realtor who, although he is my biggest customer, pays late and his properties are dumpy so he wants a dirt cheap price. I'm getting tired of waiting on the edge of my seat each month for his payment.

How about you guys?
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my future goals are to work a bit on tightening up my route a little, and I have a couple clients that may get the boot. I do have one PITA left on my list, and Im planning to MORTEN ANDERSON his a** after this year.
  3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

just wondering do you cut them if your making good $$ off of them ? Me i do if its going to be a problem......
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I dumped a few PITA's in June after signing them up in April. There's a little house cleaning left, 2 more PITA's to dump and tighten up the route a bit esp with fuel prices escalating. My mindset is if the customer is a PITA, they are gone regardless of the income.
  5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i finally got rid of all my PITAs.... all of my current customers are great on payments and a pleasure to deal with but i think i'm axing some of the bi-weeklys to make room for more weeklys.
  6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I got rid of most of my PITAs this spring also. I have maybe two more to go, but they are not the worst ones by far. It is more difficult to get rid of the good $$$ customers. After I have had all I can take of the good $$$ PITAs, I usually ride it out if it is late in the season. Then I can get the easy services in the winter and drop them the next spring.

Like mulecutter said, you have to give the axe to some bi-weeklys to make room for some better paying customers. Even if they are not difficult to deal with, you have to follow the money.
  7. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

I bit the bullet and called all bi-weekly clients in July (after 23 days of rain in June) and said it will be weekly or they can go shopping. I had 12 bi-weekly clients out of 104. 8 went weekly and 4 went shopping. Best decision yet on my part. I will not take any bi-weekly clients from March1-November 1 from this point forward. It is just too much strain on the equipment, the schedule, and more importantly myself.
  8. Bigolbigun

Bigolbigun LawnSite Member

tomsgolf44 I did the same thing. I got tired of the bi-weekly BS and told them to switch to weekly or forget it. I had 12 and 6 stayed. It has been much easier on me and I will no longer take bi-weekly accounts. It just so happened that the 6 that left were my biggest PITA's. Go figure.