what cuts better, walkbehinds or riders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gmgbo, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

from my expierance my 17hp 48" scag walk behind cuts better than an exmark 48" rider and a lesco 54". the two riders clump and the scag never does. the scag will multh the riders clumps. also the scag with a velky is just as fast and the exmark, but the leso does circles around both...so what do u guys like better? :cool2:

2. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Wright Stander

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper. Nobody does circles around me.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

is the scag a fixed deck?

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here comes about 25000 different answers. :rolleyes:

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Either machine has its place...

...overall I prefer a WB because of its versatility and manueverablity. Stripes are great and almost all machines will produce them in some fashion. But I don't get all lathered up with whether a Z or a WB (no matter who makes them) does them better when my guys are mowing close to 300 acres a week.

Getting the job done is what I care about most. Period

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

rod u slave driver 300 a week

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

...just like you Dusty, trying to make the Almighty dollar :D

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have lawns that stop the WB cold it can not cut the thick grass to save its life in fact I will be selling the 2 year old metro this spring. It has probably 150 hours on it. When I have very think wet lawns that are growing nearly a foot a week in the spring the ZTR is the only way to go. The choice is 5 hours on Campanaros lawn or less then 1 hour that is how big a difference the rider makes when the lawns are really growing. Horse power means more then most people think I do not know what the riders you spoke of had but it sounds like they did not pack the larger engine options. One of my ZTRs is a 44 with a 20 hp Kohler on it that little fella will out work just about anything. I have pulled my larger lazer out of 2 sinkholes this fall with the little guy.

Its all personal preference for me comfort matters and my hands do not go home sore at the end of the day unlike when I use to use WBs. As for top speed if I recall the scag is what 6.2 or 6.7 miles and hour the lazer hp you are describing is 8.5 miles and hour the difference is your unlikely to be cutting at top speed with a WB its quite uncomfortable you are on the other hand very likely to be cutting at the 8.5 miles and hour the lazer hp goes at. Especially since the Lazer XS can do 12 an hour so 8.5 does not seem that fast once you have seen the higher speeds. Hustler can go at 15 and hour.
    Not sure what you are cutting and how many obstacles you have or what the inclines are like but on open ground the ZTR will easily out perform the WB. With a bagging system on obstacles they are virtually the same. The steep hills are the only real draw back to the rider anything over 25 degrees and it gets real nasty.

10. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

floating deck, and the exmark has an 18hp kolher and gator blades....i wouldnt suggest any1 to buy one