what damage does plowing do to a truck?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Evan528, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Heres the situation. I have a 2000 f-250xlt (over $30,000). AT this point i am only do residential driveway snow removal with snowblowers for people i do lawncare and landscaping for. I am thinkin about getting into plowing commercial lots instead of doing little resi drivway with snowblowers. My big concern is doing damage to my truck. how rough on trucks is plowing? What common damage is done while plowing to your truck? Am i better offf just buying a reliable late 80's 3/4 truck with a plow to use for plowing? is anyone here ussing a expensive truck for plowing and what condition is it in after a winter of plowing? please help!

2. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

The amount of damage a plow truck experiences can be likened to gas milage - it is directly related to the nut behind the wheel.

After 3 years, we have resale value comparable to other trucks used for what trucks do - no more or no less. That's with the plow equipment not on the truck.

All the components get a workout, for sure, but damage comes from collision, driver error or expecting the truck to do what a loader should be doing.

I'd plow with the new truck - if you pickle it and try to make it last forever, what excuse will you give your wife when you want a new one??? Been there. Spend it before she does. LOL

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont plan to keep it forver... just 3 or 4 years then ill get a new one. I just want to keep it looking nice and working nice for these 3-4 years.

4. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

So long as you aren't going to put the truck in a museum or something, go get a blade. If you buy used you won't be sure what you are buying and since you only want to keep it 3 or 4 years i'd say you'll be better served that way.
    Just don't let the up-keep fall behind, no matter which way you decide to go.
    matt

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I plow with newer trucks, and I am in the same boat as you on a bigger scale. 17 trucks with plows all are 95 or newer except for 1 93.

I trade my trucks with plows and some withe plows and sanders after about 5 or 6 years. The most you will loose at trade in is about 500 bucks. Now lets see extra 80s truck about 5 or 6 K for a good one, extra insurance and extra maintmace. New truck is a better option, put a new plow on it, and just trade truck and plow for new truck and plow every 4 or 5 years.

Geoff

6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I plow with a 2000 Chev 2500, about 25k or so.

Sounds like you go the right truck to plow. I personally don't feel plowing does any damage. If you're concerned you can buy a product that help with the weight on the front end (Monroe Muscle LSE), and you could buy a urethane cutting edge. That might lessen the pounding the truck will take.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest beating the truck is going to take is from the salt and sand on the roads. You will be out when the DOT is sanding and salting and before the morning traffic gets a chance to move it off the road. One look at the undercarriage of my truck and its obvious its been subject to corrosives for six years.

8. klc

klc LawnSite Member
    from iowa

TRY TO REMEMBER THAT THIS IS A BUSINESS NOT PERSONAL
    TRAID UP AS MUCH AS YOU CAN YOU WILL FIND YOUR CUSTOMERS WILL FEEL BETTER WITH YOU WITH BETTER EQUIPTMENT AND YOU THAN CAN PICK UP MORE ACCOUNTS AND MAKE MORE MONEY
    GRIVEWAYS MAKE MORE MONEY PER HOUR THAN LOTS

9. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

My '79 Ford F-250 is still going strong and it has plowed all its life. The body is still sound and the frame gets painted every other year. Maintenance is the key factor.

10. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

Damage to any truck new or old comes from abuse. If you are careful when plowing your truck will be no different than not plowing. I would put a plow on the new truck. If you buy used you might buy a truck that was abused and you will have all sorts of problems.
    Neal