1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what day to mail?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tpl, Apr 9, 2002.

1. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

Going to send out a mailing to new homes that cost 500,000+.
    Should I send them on wednesday to get there on Friday, or Thursday to get there on Saturday. Any feedback would help.
    Also, as long as you are replying, please keep me from doing a search and tell me the company that does the "value-paks". I think I remember reading that a sales rep will come out to your house and help you come up with a design. Did I also read that it is around 400 bucks to reach 10,000.

2. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

The two companies that I know of are valpak and supercoups. I believe their websites are their name plus dot com. I tried this for one full year and was not satisified with the results at all. Our mailings with the company equalled about 30,000 houses per mailing. Out of this number, we only received about 10-20 calls of which only about 2 would turn into a job. Most of the people that responded were either price shopping or just getting ideas. My advice from my experience would be to save the money you would spend on the valpak type advertising and spend it elsewhere such as flyers, newspaper ads, etc.. I don't really know of any good advertising media as the valpak type advertising was all I ever tried. Other than the initial flyers we sent out in our first year of business, everything has been word of mouth. I hope this helps.
  3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Val Pak will design for you for free, I think you get 2 colors. If I remember correctly with Val Pak you have to commit to 3 or 4 consecutive mailings to participate ( this may be wrong, it has been a while). The price I do believe was 400 per 10,000.

I question the use of ValPak in targeting 500K homes. Some of the facts surrounding ValPak was that the avg reader spends 3-4 sec per coupon but will hold that coupon for 2-3 months before redemtion. They do not claim to get a ton of "ohh I have to call this guy now." These work real well for oil changes, tune up and do-nuts. I do not see 500K home owners (assume 100-150K oer year in household income) coupon holders.

As far at timing, I target mondays or wednesdays for delivery of my letters. Mail seems light around her on Mon and Wed. Trying to get myself away from the clutter.

Good Luck...

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

heygrassman, You are wrong about higher income poeple not useing coupons. At least the Author of The Miilion Dollar mind disagrees. That doesn't meen they will work though. I personally don't even open these ads. Oh another thing about the higher income bracket. They might use Coupons to shop, but for service they probly go for Quality.So heygrassman is probly still on the right track with his advice.

Just my $0.02
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I tried mailing on Friday so they get them on Saturday. ( mail is quick here) and I targeted houses that sold within the last 9 months that were above 200K.
    I figured that during the week, everyone is too busy to read what may be percieved as junk mail or a gentler term, advertising.
    I spent about 200.00 on the mailings and postage and the results so far the results are coming in slow because of the rotten weather but I have confirmed just over 1000 in work with another 2000 in estimates outstanding.
  6. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Just got an advertising packet in the mail. Some interesting stuff. Main problem is that the ones I'm interested in, the companies are located in states like Oregon, Indiana and Iowa. Do they really think I'm going to pay shipping from that far? Or expect that a company from Oregon will come here to Maine and hydroseed my lawn?
  7. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I always recieve the most calls on wednesdays and especially thursdays for some reason. Friday's are usually slow as far as new calls go. I think people are too busy thinking about the weekend on fridays.

I would aim to get it to them on tuesday or wednesday.