What dealer do you believe?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gps_jetskier, Apr 25, 2008.

1. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I got a buddy who's been shopping around for a deal on a Fasttrak 60 SD. I sent him to the same dealer I used and he got a price of $6,400. Then I found a guy on eBay that's selling them cheaper. We called him, and he is a dealer. In fact, he's listed on Huslter's dealer page. His price is $5,600 shipped to your door with no out of state taxes. Concerned about damage during shipping, other questions, and wanting to give the local dealers a chance to match, we called several local dealers and they all have a "Hustler fixed price" of $6,400. None of them were willing to match, and they all spoke to their local reps about this price and this eBay dealer. They're mad they can't compete.

Now the story we get from our local dealers (appearently from their rep) is that Hustler pulled this guys dealer status, and that if my buddy bought this machine it would be considered a "grey market purchase" and wouldn't have a warranty.

My question is...how can this be? He's a listed Hustler dealer, selling a true Hustler product. Warrenty should be attached to the serial number no matter what. How is a consumer suppose to know all this when purchasing a mower from a dealer? This dealer isn't some fly by night either. He has several in stock currently and is willing to let us come demo them first. He also sells other brands too.

The whole thing feels fishy to us. Obviously there's like a 12% difference here that's pure dealer, Hustler installed, markup somehow. What's the real scoop?

gps_jetskier

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We do have a policy against dealers shipping our mowers in a crate to a customer.
    We do not want our dealers to sell a mower in a method that does not include dealer set-up, possible local delivery, and operational and safety training provided to the customer.
    Hustler has chosen to work with authorized dealers who are trained to set-up, service, and maintain equipment to provide customers with the utmost in customer satisfaction.
    We do not wish to jeopardize customer goodwill by changing our marketing and sales model to include impersonal, remote sales.
    With that being said, we do not discriminate against warranty work being performed and we do not have a "grey" market policy of any sort.

Pj

3. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I can see not wanting to ship direct out of crates. That makes sense. There was no indication that this mower wouldn't have been prepped though. Not that I think they need much prep really either. As far as operational and safty training goes, I don't remember much of that other then - here's the key, drives like a dozer, knock yerself out.....

We called the local Hustler rep directly to clear it up some. The "grey market and no warranty" is what came from the local Hustler rep. We were also told that it's not in the computer system for warranty work untill the dealer sells it. So if we took it in for work, it wouldn't show up in the system to bill the work against.

In any case, we were told they were going over to this eBay dealer right away to pull the guys license agreement and inventory. How is that possible to pull his inventory?

My buddy bought the fast trak super duty this weekend from our local dealer (which neither of us care for) since he needed to stop horsing around and get to buisness at hand. It left a funny taste in our mouth for sure.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As long as the unit was registered by the retailing dealer, it has a warranty.

Pj