What deck handles wet grass the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Im up in the north east and this weather has been killing me. My gravely is awsome but if the grass is wet Im sitting home. From what I've heard gravelys stink in wet grass. What mower decks discharge wet clippings good.

2. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

The new Hustler XR 7 is AWESOME!!!

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

JD 7 iron decks.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

From all the post I've read the John Deere 7 iron II.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Bob-Cat handles moisture very well. It's the only one I can tell you about.
    A lot of other guys are waiting for it to dry up, I'm out cutting it up!

6. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

just wondering because I see all guys with exmarks around here cutting wet grass all day long.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Better put a little more trust in the guys replying from Northern States. The southern grasses don't stick as bad so what may work in Florida and Georgia may not hold true in New York. The grass around here looks like cow patties when it sticks. Never used a 7 Iron II but one of the LCO's that did verified it did better here than other decks he had used in the wet. I'm not telling you which is the best one just passing on what I've heard and read.

8. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I run both exmark and John Deere. I can tell you hands down that the difference is night and day. When it is wet Exmarks will spit chunks all over a lawn. Then when you shut the blades off about 10 pounds of clumped up grass falls from the deck. Have had great results with the 7 iron deck in wet conditions. I have also heard good things about Scags new Velocity Deck.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut 18 properties today in turf so wet it comes up and soaks your feet,with no clumping running the 06 scag decks thumbs up.

10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mow Pro, What mower? TT, ST? How does the new Velocity deck throw that soggy grass, nice and even?
    Dave