What defines a bad LCO?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnmaniac883, May 26, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

As it states above, genearally speaking, what is your definition of a bad LCO?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Unlicensed, Uninsured, Unprofessional, Un-Uniformed or worn slopply clothing or worse yet shirtless, Sprays and spreads pesticides and chemicals with the proper training and licensing, and sloppy work.......just to name a few........course I don't even consider these types LCO's though, I think more along the lines of lawn monkey for them

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In that case I'm a thousand+ dollar / week lawn monkey, and proud of it.

Fact is, insurance is not required by law in Virginia, not for grass cutting.

Fact is, I love going topless because this is my business and if I could work naked, I would've done that a long time ago.
    What stops you from going topless, morals? Fine, well I don't piss on customer's property as a rule. Not saying you do, but a lot of Lco's won't think twice about running in the woods, I'll trade my shirt for their peeing and see which one the customers like best.

Fact is, so long there exist customers with average lawns who are not concerned about anything except a willing hand, there will come guys like me run the old '98 proline through the brush for a nice dollar.

The only thing I don't do is lowball, swindle or steal, all else is fair game.

Thank you.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Looking at this as if I was the customer, I would define a bad lco as one that doesn't deliver what he promises, one that isn't dependable each week to show up to cut the grass, one that doesn't return phone calls, and one that isn't insured incase there is an accident.

An example: I needed to get my computer worked on. First place I went to was a "professional" guy in biz for 20 years, he strung me along for days, and when I got the computer back, it was worse than before!! The 2nd place I went to was a smoky place, the guy was covered in tattoos, the atmosphere wasn't the greatest.... BUT he delivered the computer to me when he promised. He was nice as heck, and told me I could come back if I had any questions reinstalling everything on my computer. I could have cared less if he was wearing a shirt, the guy was darn knowledgeable, and I will go back to him because HE DID WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD DO ON TIME.

Be dependable, and your business will flourish, cause too many LCO'S out there, are no where near being dependable.

5. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

License not required by law
    Insurance not required by law
    Shirt not required by law
    Lowballing not against the law

I guess I'm a good lco by Tennessee standards.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

So does Matt mow shirtless, and without a license and insurance and does he apply chemicals without licensing? :waving:

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

u arent bright... last 2 years was illegal this year im licensed and insured and work quality hasnt changed a bit so license/insurance doesnt mean a thing on deciding if a LCO is bad

both my other workers dont wear shirts no one has ever complained and 50% of landscapers are topless... I wear the most stained and sweaty clothes possible

Why would i waste $500-1000 on uniformed clothes for my crew when no matter what i wear gets stained and by the first hour in the summer the shirt is drenched in sweat

116 accounts with no contracts in my thirrd year and they keep coming back so ill be a lawn monkey anyday making the money i do and growing as fast as i am lol

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

only thing that defines a bad LCO is doing a terrible job on the property... lawn looks terrible, throwing chemicals by hand, blowing garbage all over street and neigbors property, etc...

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Oh ya, real funny. I didn't say that's what we do... but what I am saying is, thru the eyes of the customer I just don't think some of this stuff matters.
    Ex: In 8 years of business, I don't remember one person ever asking us, "do you need a license to cut grass?" And I can count the times on 2 hands when a customer has said, "do you have insurance?" (i'm talking residential clients, not commercial), and these were properties with steep slopes and embankments.... facts are, customers don't care about these things, they just want a dependable service they can count on. (that's what I have seen in our area)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is all I'm saying, I do have insurance but my rates are for a NO claims policy so if I ever have a claim, I might as well quit then because my rates will at least triple.

I've given the subject of insurance a lot of thought... I mean, all my vehicles are covered under Minimum liability as required by law... Some people tell me this is a bad idea because if I wreck (my fault) then my car is not covered (which is true) but then I am thinking maybe this makes me a more careful driver. Much in that same way, I find the presence or absence of insurance for a lawn business may affect how careful an Lco is (or not).

So is having insurance better? If a residential customer starts in with this question, that to me is a red flag, I'm not running yet but don't send me another red one or I am gone. I carry it for commercial contracts because they require it, that is my standard answer because at the same time I don't want some smartypants thinking that since I have insurance maybe I am an easy target for replacing whatever is broken now that they can later blame on me pretending I broke it while mowing (by the way I know this story well).

I would have to say a bad Lco is also one who cheats or takes advantage of customers by using his or her knowledge against their ignorance so as to gain a profit. A good example is if you take your car to a mech for a trans filter and fluid change and they call you trying to talk you into a rebuild because it's in really bad shape and you decline and a year later it still runs strong.

Anyway...