What demographics to target in direct mailing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zz4guy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting together a list of about 2500 people to send direct mailings to. To make it worth it I would like to target a certain type of person. Is there any type of person that you've had more luck with targeting? ie like a family of 3 that has no time to mow the lawn, or older folks?

Just looking for some ideas. Thanks guys.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure that demographics is so important after some of my experiences.

For example, I've given estimates on two properties. Both almost exactly the same size, flat, few obstacles. The difference?

One was here in town, and this was a pretty small house. Maybe a 200K house.

The other one was probably a 600-700k house.

The "poor" homeowner agreed to the service and my price estimate.

The "rich" guy said I was too expensive.

It's just one example, but you're going to find many different types of people regardless of region or type of neighborhood.

Personally, I try to hit as many houses as I can, rather than just target specific ones.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Demographics IS very important if you want every printed piece to count. You will see a 1-2% return from a random list, but targeted lists (if targeted correctly) will give you a 5-6% return or (ROI). That is the number you're worried about.

No one can really give you the answers to "your" market, but I'm sure you know what it is. Use your knowledge on "who buys my services" as a ground-point and go from there.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It can be hard to tell...higher income families can be 'strapped' financially whereas someone that looks lower income may have a tiny mortgage and lots of disposable income.

My area is very wealthy, average household income around $100k so pretty much every area is a 'good' area.

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I have been wondering the same thing. From my experience it is hit & miss, I havent figured it out. From one tract I'll get 10 calls, the one next to it not one,houses are roughly same value. House values also vary greatly across the country keep that in mind when looking hear (Lawnsite)what is $ 80,000 here, my brother can't touch for $ 200,000 in Baltimore.

6. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Good input and advice. On another forum they have been saying try to sell to the woman of the house. She will almost always purchase a contract compared to the man. Hey whatever works!

Is direct mailing a good or bad way to go after commercial accounts? Are there certain businesses (small/large/otherwise) that are more perceptive to direct mailings?