what depth for all the pipe ??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by baddboygeorge, Nov 9, 2006.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

do I need to put the pipe below the frost line which is 18 inches here , even if I am blowing the system out at the end of the season. If all the water is outta the line before it freezes everything should be ok rite?? Please help me out! thanks Gerorge

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

As a standard, Irrigation pipe usually goes between 10" and 14", less if your lazy.

Any deeper is a waste of time. That is why we winterize.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys have always been a great help , thank you!! i have another question , after i trench i start laying pipe what makes up the difference between the head an the pipe to get head at proper grade! This is gonna be my first system so I wanna make sure I know all I can before I get my feet wet! how many heads to a zone? please let me know Thanks George

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Use swing pipe for your heads. As far as how many heads to a zone, you need to study up a little because there are too many variables.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

George:

Read:

www.irrigationtutorials.com

COMPLETELY! Every section, continue re-reading or ask questions here on anything that doesn't make sense until you understand the entire site.

Then try your install. I'm trying to save you a very expensive headache.

6. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

give you one tip if your following the tutorials...

when it comes time to measure the diameter of your pipes, use a plastic wire tie and a permanent marker instead of a string.

The tapered end of the tie makes it easy to get under and around the pipe when it is partially buried.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Put it this way - Do you want to make repairs at 18"-36"? 10-14 inches is perfect for residentials. Oh I just loved working on commercial jobs where the trenches where dug by back hoe up to 6 or 7 feet deep, working in them which is completely over my head (I'm only 5'-9" on a good day), and it had downpoured the previous night. Nothing like mud up to your crotch. And made sure to pivot my foot down when walking our pulling my leg up - my hip kept popping out of place.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What's breaking at those 6-7 foot depths? Sounds like an opportunity to make the evening news as the unnamed workman buried in a collapse.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No no. This was back in my first year of irrigation working for someone else. We installed the system for the practice football fields at the Air Force academy. I think it was a 10" mainline. Funny thing was the guy I worked for and one other guy, trenched the whole perimeter for the mainline. Then when the pipe showed up, it didn't fit!!

And yes I worried about collapsing.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

In CA the OSHA requirement is that 5' and deeper has to be shored or "engineered trenching", i.e. depending on soil composition walls can be angled to prevent cave-ins.

Our general rule of thumb is that the larger the pipe the deeper it needs to be. This allows room for fittings, change of direction, etc. You just need more room with large diameter pipes. We put 6"-8" pipe about 30" deep, 3"-4" pipe 18"-24", etc.