what depth to install under asphalt?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dvlscape, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

We will be installing a small 2 zone irrigation system for the entrance beds of a corporate center.

We have to saw cut about 150' of asphalt and drill through 2 curbs to bring water to the system we will be installing. Is there an ideal depth? I'm thinking around 12-16". We are located in southeast PA if that matters and the line will have a shut off and a blow out.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

12"-16" is fine, but install a sleeve and run the pipe in that.

3. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Have someone come in and bore it and they will pull a sleeve back through.

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, no sense in cutting asphalt.

5. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Yep, bore it. Way faster!

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you bore 150 FEET (one hundred fifty feet) under asphalt?

Dig a hole every 15 - 20 feet and shoot under? That won't look very nice.

7. lowvolumejeff

lowvolumejeff LawnSite Member

Just had a 2" and a 1" sleeve (pulled together, side by side) done . They did 180 feet under asphalt, trees and thru rock terrain for about $10 a foot. Their bore tip is directionally monitored and guided, so they could stay at any depth you determine. Heck, they even dug valve box holes to the sleeve depth where ever I indicated - included in the price. The conduit is Teflon lined, which make pulling wire or pushing PVC way easier. I contract with a local cable puller used by the utility companies and cable providers.
    Jeff

8. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

I was not aware that a lenth of 150' could be bored, without digging access holes at intervals, I will look into this locally.

9. lowvolumejeff

lowvolumejeff LawnSite Member

Just checked with the company I used. They have three different sized machines, and depending on soil conditions and ease of acess, they can go up to 1000 feet. Price with a 2 inch teflon coated sleeve is $13 a foot.

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub it out to this company. Sit back and take pictures before during and after. Take some video too. We all like to see pics and video.