What Did He Say?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Mar 26, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

As said earlier I am getting an Exmark in two days, when I was talking to me dealer I mentioned to him that just about every lco around here uses Walkers and that I was really excited to show what a nice yard could look like after getting my Exmark. I asked him why so many LCOS have at least one Walker in their lineup.

He replies "that is because of the difference in cut, Walker's are great for resi yards, while Exmarks can really get the job done in big open spaces. They are really totally different machines. The Walkers are used because they give a better cut and appearance for those really nice manicured yards while Exmarks can get out in the open and cover a lot of ground"

My mouth was hanging open, did my dealer just tell me that the mower I bought does not give a "great cut on small, manicured residential lawns" I thought the advantage of getting an Exmark was not have to worry about bagging because of the great mulching system and quality of cut?!?!?

Now he's telling me that Walker's are better for residential yards?

I did not know what to say except ok, see you on Saturday!

Tell me this is not true!!

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda yes, Kinda no...

I started off with a 48'' Walker, yes, great for yards and high amounts of maneurvering, and some yards require grass collection. The midmounts which I just bought one are great for the open spaces, the cut IS as good as Walker's, but a front floating deck is much kinder to uneven turf, Also, a midmount can surprise you where it will fit, only thing that stops the midmount going where the walker will is deck width only.

I think the Walker is longer too....

The mower I just traded, Toro Z355 is about 1.5 ft off memory longer than the new midmount Toro....surprising really.

Where Walker wins out in yards etc is the weight, they are much lighter and less damaging on turns.

You will be able to mow soft turf and yards etc with your midmount no probs, just watch the tyre damage, cut quality won't be a worry. The Exmark in my opinion will serve to be more versatile, and mulching does save you money, grass handling is old news in my book.

If all you do is 1 acre and under for example and grass collection is mostly needed, the Walker shines.

If you mow 1/4 acre up to ..... well the Exmark will shine.

Different mowers for different purposes, I found my Walker had more limitations than my new Toro Z588E, but I think the front floating deck is kinder than midmounts though.

Don't worry, you will be a happy chook on the weekend!

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I owned a walker for one day and traded it in on two WB's. One thing I really hated about the walker was your feet rested on the front deck and bounced around as the deck when up and down. Unless the lawn was smooth it drove me crazy. Also, the control system lay out was annoying and uncomfortable for me.
    IMO, there are just too many happy Exmark owners for you to worry you bought the wrong machine.....
    Good luck,
    DP

4. grasssin

thanks , I know what you mean by Exmark users on this site

5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I don't own an Exmark or a walker but I regularly properties that are maintained by both. While both machines have ups and downs cut quality is not an issue with Exmark regardless of property size. The cut is great and from what I've seen the mulcher is incredible.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is just another case of a salesman that doesn't know what he's talking about - just blowing smoke out his rear-end for the sake of conversation. I love listening to these guys talk to different people about things, They go on all levels. They'll stand there and tell this customer just how great some piece of junk machine works, and they have never even usd one before, so they don't have a CLUE about the pros and cons about it. They sure talk a good game, though.

7. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

The mulching kit on my Exmark Metro didn't fair too well last year in the beginning of the season. I had to switch to the regular blades and discharge the clippings. I'm going to be bagging everything this year. But now that I have my own impact wrench, I'll probably switch to the mulching blades when it gets hotter outside.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had salesmen that sold me stuff, then later tell me that it really wasn't commerical quality.

That is one reason why I won't buy anything from one dealer here

9. grasssin

NEVERMIND I am an idiot for even thinking of doubting Exmark, got my Lazer HP 48" today and posted before and after pics.

I will let you be the judge....

10. 3 Bladz

3 Bladz LawnSite Member

I like my Walker for small resi yards and condos. It's great for berms and such. But when it comes to anything that takes more than twenty minutes the 52 Exmarks or 72 Toro mids are used. New this year is a Toro Z500 52. We'll see how it does. By the way the Walker has a 54 SD except one day aweek we bag a couple yards with a 48 bagger deck. Both machines stripe great but the Walker is way slower to get the same great cut as the mids.