What did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lorge, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

I was mowing near a railroad with my Exmark 36" fixed deck and I hit some sort of thick metal that bent one of my blades. I ordered these blades from mowmore.com. They are heavy duty high lifts, .240" thick. They are actually a little shorter than any of my other blades for the same mower. When I put the factory blades (a tad longer) on the mower , one of the blades hits the back of the inside of the deck. What do you think is wrong? Bent shaft? Did I mess up the deck somehow?

2. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you either bent the shaft or kinked the deck slightly where the spindle housing mounts into the deck. It can happen if you hit the right stuff. These decks are tough but only made to handle normal wear and tear. The best way to find out is take the spindle off and look at it. Also take a straight edge and lay it across the spindle location on the deck. If the deck is kinked it can most likely be corrected with a sledge hammer. Once you get everything back to normal check to see that the blade tips line up with each other.

mowingmachine

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

With the mower off tilt the mower up and try to spin the blades. See where it is hitting at. If it is hitting on the deck use a pair of vice grips and place where it is hitting at. Try to bend the deck back out to where the blad does not hit. Hopefully that is all that it is. Try this first.

JP

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ya, I would tip up the mower and spin them with your hand (make sure to unplug the spark plug first though) to see where they are hitting at.

5. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

The blade is hitting at the back of the deck. I can push the blade past the scraping point. If it's a bent shaft, do I just need a new shaft? Is this something I can do myself? How do I get the spindle assembly off. I removed the four nuts, but it is not coming off. I've never messed with this part of the mower so I'm a little clueless.

6. tiedeman

from earth

what is the warranty on the mower like?

7. jpp

Did you try bending or straighten the deck where the blade is hitting at? I would try this before taking off the spindle and shaft if you are going to do this yourself.

8. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

I placed a 12 inch ruler near the spindle housing and noticed a bulge in the deck. It seems as if this is my problem. mowingmachine suggested a sledge hammer. Would anyone else recommend this? If not, then what?

9. tiedeman

from earth

sledge hammer sounds good to me...if that will fix the problem

10. jpp

I have used vice grips as previously said. I just put them where the bulge is and pull the deck out. I have also used a regular hammer and beat the deck to death. Good luck Take the blade off first though