What did they used to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jul 11, 2003.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

What did LCOs used to do before blowers and weedwackers?

2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Rakes, brooms, and hand clippers.

3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Scissors and a deep breath :D
    but seriously probably a broom and theres a thing that has a sharp blade on the bottom of a 3' pole thats used to trim...or it used to be. (cant remember the name) Keep in mind if it was before the days of weedwackers and trimmer most likely they were using the reel mowers you push- those can get a lot of places mowers cant today...

-Coop

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

We would shape our planting beds so that the mower could get real close. Another method was to mow everything you can get with the rider, then spray diesel fuel on everything else. Ahh, them were the days.
    Crawdad

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Cooper Landscaping wrote:

Keep in mind if it was before the days of weedwackers and trimmer most likely they were using the reel mowers you push

Dude!

Just a little history here. Rotary mowers (the kind that we use) have been around a very long time. I have a Dunlap rotary that dates from before 1950. It uses a Clinton engine. Electric grass shears came out before electric trimmers and the grass shears were out in the mid 70s. I'm 45 and I have never seen anyone use a reel mower on a residential lawn.

I have seen pictures of the days before trimmers and it wasn't pretty. I asked an "old timer" what they used to do in the days before trimmers and he said they just let it grow.

6. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I'm 40 and I can remember my grandfather using a manual reel mower when I was a little kid. Then he moved up to this funky mower that was either a Snapper or maybe a Lawnboy. It had a crack that wound a up a big spring. Then you pushed a button and it released the spring and hopefully started the motor. I seem to remember that it rarely worked and he cussed it alot. I've never seen another one like that.

7. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

My Grandfather also had a reel mower 3 1/2 hp. When I was a kid about 30 years ago I took the front wheel off my "Big Wheel" tricycle and tied the back part you sat on to the handlebars of the mower and stood on it, why walk when you can ride:D

Later
    Kelly

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Stop by my place. I use mine about 7 or 8 times a year (too lazy to go to the gas station).

Mike

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Getting some serious answers here and I thought this would be a funny post. Long ago before the reel mower scythes or animals were used to keep the grass at a reasonable level.

Gravely_Man

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My Parents and Grandparents used hand shears to trim with and later the little electric shears, some were even battery operated. Edging sidewalks was left to whatever the push mower could "SUCK" up. Although I remember my neighbor using a hand edger in the 70's. My Dad has memories of reel mowers when he was a kid. Said they were worth a hoot on long grass. I personally don't care for the cut a reel mower gives. In our northern grasses, you need SUCTION to lift grass that lays over. If its layed over a reel mower will just go right over top of it, and 4 hours later you'll see all your "stringers".

I used a hand broom to remove clippings from sidewalks and such. This was before blowers came into fashion (circa 1980) I was quite effective with a nice corn broom. Didn't take me all that longer than it does today on small stuff. My back and forth motion with the broom was so fast that it actually blew wind and that removed more clippings than the broom actually did!

Ahh....The good ole days!