What did you all do before you started a lawn care business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

I was just curious. I am currently an aircraft mechanic and wanting to make a break from it this next year if I am lucky enough. I've done it for over 20 years and need a change. I've always enjoyed working outside and have wanted to begin my own business. What about you?

2. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

retired tactical unit NYPD

3. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

current cop and bomb tech... part time mow biz...

4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Garden center 21 years (15 yrs as mgr), then landscape maintenance mgr. then nuts to working for others.5 yrs on my own.

5. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Auto teck and painter:hammerhead: :hammerhead:
    NEVER AGEN

6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Owned a small publishing company, needed a change as well. I also work part time as a carpenter.

7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I went to school to be an aircraft mechanic. I graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University back in the early 90's. Turns out, nobody wants to hire a color blind mechanic. I wanted to work for one of the airlines and I guess I could have gotten a job at an FBO but that didn't interest me. I put myself through school with a small lawn biz in Daytona Beach. Looking back, I wish I would have stuck with it. I spent the next eight years working as a golf course mechanic in and around West Palm Beach. Moved out to Colorado in '99. The golf biz isn't the same out here as in Florida so I got a job with Concast, I mean Comcast. Wasted seven years of my life as a cable guy. I couldn't take working for someone else anymore and decided to go back to what I enjoyed doing. This was my first season doing this to support a family, pay a mortgage,car payment, home equity loan(used to finance my start up) and all the other bills that come with a family and I must say, I wish I would have done this years ago. It's not so scary. Just takes a plan and baby steps. Well, that's my story and I wish you the best of luck with your biz.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Owned a pet store. During that and still, I work for State of South Dakota, Public Safety. Dispatch Highway Patrol and other state units.

9. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

I really am looking forward to my first year in this business next year. I hope to make a break sometime next year from my regular job. It's interesting to see people from all walks of life who have started this business. I think I'm joining a fine bunch of people.

Mojob, I don't think you missed much, aircraft jobs was either feast or famine during my career. Layoffs and such were to common place depending on who you worked for. I'm all about job security.

10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I was an auto mechanic coming out of high school. I did that for 5 years and then went to Spartan School of Aeronautics and got my Commercial license and CFII. That CFII end of course test was the last time I flew. The industry still hasn't recovered from 9/11.

Just for reference, my forman made more than twice as much as I would have made as a pilot. That's why I don't fly anymore.