What did you all do before you started a lawn care business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Nov 26, 2006.

1. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent 20 years as a Retail manager ...good money , but too many headaches and crappy hours...hard work is fine....never seeing your family is not.

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I was an insurance claim investigator. There were a lot of things I liked about that work, but when I hung my own shingle in that business things did not work out for me. Six years into this business and my only regret is that I did not get into it sooner at a younger age.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thirty-one ... yes ... 31 years in the transportation and distribution business, with the last 17 years in management - on a computer - telling everyone else where to go.

Working long hours ... and once in the office working basically 2nd shift hours ... you are right ... "never seeing your family" is not fine. All Sunday's working and evenings missing the kids and school functions ... it's the pits.

Going full time this next Spring is what I've been waiting on for a couple years now!

:weightlifter:

4. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

16 years in industrial battery manufacturing... 6 years and current in automotice feul systems

5. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

I was also an insurance property investigator and adjuster. After working hurricane Rita, I felt I needed a break from the crooked insurance industry. Always wanted to start my own biz, and always loved doing lawn care. First year was a success and I only look forward to many more. Lots of good info on this site. Take some and leave some but good reading anyway.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The challange with mowing is a staight line. When you being a cop its officer safety, public safety.

At least that is what I has figured out.

Where are in Iowa?

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Golf Course Superintendent. Couldn't handle working for anyone else anymore especially under the demands of that business. Making less $ right now and loving it!

8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

11 years of all kinds of golf course work. Got my degree and a good job but all turned bad on my first interim sup. job. Vowed never to do that again and went into business for myself. Made the same amount my first year as i did my last year as an assist. sup. with about half the hours. Best move i ever made.

9. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

retail...im 19...i think i am going to be cutting grass for a while

10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I worked for Bellsouth for 5 years as a Manager in Pubilc Relations and a Regional Sale Support Manager for Georgia, Alabama, and Tenn....Got laid off, and couldn't find anyone to pay me what I was making, and spoil me the way Bellsouth did. If only I had 10 more years with Bellsouth, I probably would still be there, but I was the lowest man on the totem pole, and the next person ahead of me had 14 years. I took a buy out, and got a really nice separation package, and got talked into doing landscape work by my neighbor because of how detailed I kept my place. Never knew when I started that I would be where I am, but I guess everything happens for a reason. Love being my own boss, because today I was tired from a long weekend of going to football games(Uga/GT)&(N.O./Falcons:cry: ) and decided to take the rest of the day off.....just told my guys to buzz me when they get to the gate. I wouldnt have it any other way.