1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What did you do before starting an LCO?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 5, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read many posts here where the poster claims so many years experience. So, I was wondering what are the jobs that everyone left to start their own LCO. Myself, I spent the over 15 years developing software eventually ending up in management before finally getting laid off. It was one of the best days of my life. :cool2: Now I was free to do as I pleased.

What is your story?
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked with a few different lco's for about 10 years on my own for 15 years so I guess I have 25 years of experience
  3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thirty-one years in the Transportation industry ... working with 75 union drivers. I'm done ... D-O-N-E ... with dealing with unions.
  4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Right out of high school worked for a large LCO in my area with in 6 months I was running my own crew of 3 guys mowing high end properties in tampa area. 6 months later changed over to landscape foreman ran that crew for another year,left because of pay 8.00$ an hr as a foreman yeah:dizzy:. Went into warehousing and distribution also always doing lawns or landscaping on the side off and on. Still in warehousing now foreman of my warehouse,here in lakeland,now starting to get back into part-time,and hopefully full-time biz soon.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I became a licensed applicator at 17, so there isn't much before. I did live in Iceland for 2 years as a missionary. Put myself through school doing lawn applications in the summer, and teaching Icelandic & Swedish in the winter. When I got done with school, looked at my options and thought my best one was to keep doing applications, just go full time, so I did. Then in 1996 I got sick of turning away people who wanted weekly maintenance, so I got into that too. I made a lot of mistakes in the first two years, (I ran Craftsman!:hammerhead: ) Then I switched over to real commercial equipment, mostly the Toro Proline, and have had great luck, and a lot of fun since.
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Twenty years military. When I lived in base housing always ended up mowing half the nieghbors lawn. Last three years mowed part time. Retired and went to driving truck. Spent some time working for a septic company. Been full time for going on 6 seasons. Guess I am a glutton for punishment.
  7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

9 years at two different Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers as a mechanic.

Warranty times (flat rate), extended warranty, hassle getting paid for diagnostic time just got to be too much to bear.
  8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Cleaned cars at a dealership 4 yrs, Installed stereos at a mobile electronics shop 4 Yrs, sold farm equipment parts and lawn and garden parts 4 yrs, then sold Motorcycles, ATV's, Snowmobiles and Compact Tractors for 4 Yrs at a local dealership. Went full time LCO last spring with very little experience. Loving every minute of it, Guess we'll see where I am in 4 Yrs. LOL.
  9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

grew up on a farm working cattle hogs and baling hay. First public job was between junior and senior year in high school when i was hired as the groundskeeper at the local hospital using THEIR equipment. That got me interested in doing this on my own. Picked up a handful of yards to mow with my high wheel murray mower. Then the next summer when I graduated, I got a job with a local factory as their groundskeeper using again THEIR equipment. Picked up more yards and bought a riding mower. Since then have worked at a Farmer's Co-op as a truck driver and on an assembly line building HVAC units to my current J O B of the past 8 years installing electrical components in stainless steel foodservice equipment mostly used by McDonalds. I still service roughly 23 accountswhile working 55-60 hour weeks at the full time.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I have basically been doing this part/time since I was 12, so 13 years expierence, I went fulltime after I got back from serving in Iraq for 18months back in September 2005, right after Hurricane Katrina. Thehurricane sorta helped kick off my buisness bigtime!