1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What did you do with the grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lok33, Aug 1, 2005.

1. lok33

lok33 LawnSite Member

I just purchased an Exmark HP that has the bagger that you can actually dump out the bottom with a handle. I was wondering what innovative ways you guys bag the grass.

Any advice is appreciated!
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to Lawnsite.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean what types of baggers do we use. I used to bag grass but I have stopped a few years ago. But for leaves and such i use the bag type for JD ztrs.
  3. lok33

lok33 LawnSite Member

This bagger you can't really get the grass in a bag directly....you'll have to dump it on a tarp or something and then bag it.

I hate bagging mulching is the way to go but some yards need bagging

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok I see what you mean now. You want to know hot to get the grass from your bagger into the truck? Cheapest way is to use a tarp. You could always build a ramp from your trailer to the bed of your truck and back up it and dump. I've seen guys do this, works pretty well as long as you have a pickup truck.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I still don't think you guys got it yet. After he bags the grass he wants to know how to get the grass from his catcher into plastic bags that he can leave at the curb.

I only bag a couple of yards and they have on site disposal.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Been bringing it to my step dadÂ’s farm but in the near future I want to have my own site to turn it in to topsoil. Add in leaves from spring and fall clean ups and I could see making 1500-2000 yards of topsoil per year. I know I sure would like to add that to my income easily under cut the suppliers in the area at 20 a yard. My step dads pile is now close to 10,000 yards 2/3s are from a horse farm rest is leaves and grass from me.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

In most of the towns we mow it is actually illegal for lawn/landscape contractors to use the munipalities waste disposal service for your customers clippings. I'd be careful...if that was actually what you were asking.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

lok are you using the DFS ultra vac? if so the basic tarp method. If you must bag it the best way I have found is the put a bag in an empty can then lay it on its side and rake it into the can then use a rake to lift more up to fill it. repeat as nessacary.

When I HAVE to haul itaway I just pile it in the truck (tarp method) and then dump it here or at grandpas farm... the cows eat the grass. limbs and leaves I just strike a match. Living out here in the boonies does have some advantages.
  9. lok33

lok33 LawnSite Member

Tarp method seems to be the way to go I guess....I was hoping for some great idea. I'll have to invent something...laziness sparks ingenuity
  10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I bag every residential lawn, unless we are cutting in the rain. The clippings go into the back of the truck and get dumped at a compsoting site at the end of the day.