What did you give up to get started?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BINKY1902, Jun 21, 2010.

1. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Just wondering if any of you guys had to give up something to get started, or in order to get started debt free? I sold my Honda Foreman in order to purchase my Gravely ztr. Now I have a great mower, but no 4-wheeler. Good tradeoff though, kept me from having debt. I almost sold my baseball cards, but decided to let the ATV go instead. What have you given up to get the biz going?

2. tmetz

tmetz LawnSite Member

Key west 17 ft flats boat, yamaha gp1300r

Oh well still got my Suzuki eiger 400 to cruise the country with
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

my other life.

4. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

I really wanted to buy a Kawasaki Concours this summer. I guess my old Seca will make it a couple of more years. Not that I have time to ride it anyway!

5. lots and lots and lots and lots of time.

6. jay317

jay317 LawnSite Senior Member

Gave up a 1987 Buick Grandnational
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

gave up playing football jr and sr yr of highschool and alot of time hanging out with friends especially during the summer and still dont have a whole lot of time :( i gained independence and the feeling of having my own money, never asked for any money, never paid a payment on anything (all cash), bought my first 21" with money i saved from using my dad's mower to mow a few yards my first year in the biz, i own my truck, all equipment, a 2001 gp1200r waverunner, 2003 warrior 350, pay for college, insurance etc. and still have a big cusion in the bank. looking back and now i wouldn't change a thing

8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Every last little bit of free time I once had during the day. Which is exactly what I was hoping for.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it might feel like a sacrifice to some but to me
    getting rid of liabilities really didn't hurt but so much,
    age helped me realize materialism is a bad habit plus
    it's more of a trade...

You see I'm not giving up a liability, I am trading it in return for financial freedom.
    Well, independence anyhow, money still ain't free lol.

I could agree with that.