What did you learn from the 2011 mowing season? Good or bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Never do business with realtors, you'll never make any money, at least in my area.

2. If the customer seems shady from the beginning, chances are they are going to be shady.

3. Put EVERYTHING in the contract, even the smallest detail, if you don't, it will come back to haunt you.

4. Take as many accounts as you possibly can, because everyone and I mean everyone is mowing grass.

5. You have to spend money to make money :( unfortunately..

2. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

I learned lots this year, it was a good year!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I learned how to cut in the rain 1-3 days every week and not leave everything looking like crap.

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I had an unexpected rise in upper middle class properties and a small drop in high end properties. My stress level dropped as well. I need to take some time this winter to figure out why and if I should shift my niche market.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I learned that just because someone finally pays what they owe from the year before, it doesn't mean they will pay you this year. :)

I also learned it is OK to say "no" occasionally. I turned down a few jobs this fall, and I didn't miss a meal, or any sleep, because I did.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

In addition, I'm glad I sold my business and I enjoy working for somebody else...for right now. Things may change and I have to deal with management BS occasionally, but I'm happy with my decision.

7. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned the same things I learned last year but failed to implement, but I came out of the winter this year with 6 or 7 rear round accounts (just started the year before) 2 of which had paid year in advance, so I only had the income of 5. now I have 27 year round accounts, all but 2 on autopay.

fresh paint on my trucks and new trailer/equipment and next year is going to be awsome!! I have to get a system for meeting ALL my estimates/appointments, work on timing. etc...

I get a bit depressed in the winter when it's slow but trying to keep a positive attitude. it'll be good.:waving:

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i learned there are about 3 full time lawn care companies in my area yet there are 500 part timers.

9. drenchedlawn

drenchedlawn LawnSite Member

All things considered, we could have it a lot worse. Not a bad way to make a living even though we all have our gripes.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I already knew this but it was reinforced: Good customers are hard to find. I took on 5 new accounts this spring and only one of them worked out for me. Some people, especially those that are new to having a contractor take care of their lawn for them, are just difficult to work with and don't seem to understand that IT'S A ROUTE and that the lawn gets mowed when you're in the area. They also don't seem to understand that they signed up for lawn maintenace service, not perpetual lawn reclamation service. I don't think they'd be wanting to let the lawn go 2 or 3 weeks without a cut if they were the ones cutting it!

So lets say I get 20 calls for lawn mowing...perhaps 10 of them won't be in my preferred service area or won't be lawns that I want to cut. I might only get half of the ones I do bid on so now we're down to 5. If only one in 5 of them works out to be a long term customer, that's only 5 percent of the leads I get.