What diesel to buy..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Clean N Green, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Clean N Green

Clean N Green LawnSite Member

Should I buy the 6.7 I-6 cummins or the new 6.4 Powerstroke... I need towing power and decent mpgs and long term reliability

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I have the 6.7 Cummins, 30k on the odometer so far so good. Had a few lights come on when I first got it, but the dealer reprogrammed it and it's done fine since.

If I had it to do over again I would get a Ford 3/4 ton with a V10.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

This doesn't apply to any of the engines you listed the days are long long gone when diesels got good fuel mileage and were reliable.

The 6.7 suffers emmissions crap problem along with the 6.4.

My next truck is gas diesel isn't worth it you never recover the costs and resale value is a crock of chit. Anybody with knowlege about diesel trucks don't buy high mileage used diesel trucks.

4. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a used 5.9 cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke if you want good mpg's and reliability

5. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the Cummins. If you want the best of them get a used 5.9, but if a new one is your type of thing than the 6.7 is still a reliable and powerful piece.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

6.7 will get the better fuel mileage out of the 2. However i have been talking with more people and the ones who have late 09's, and 2010 6.4's are reporting better fuel mileage. Getting closer to the 18-19 hwy range. (not duallys tho) The LMM Duramax and 6.7 cummins seem to be getting good fuel mileage numbers. around the 18+ highway numbers. My uncle SAYS hes getting 21 outta his 2wd Cummins dually, but i dont think i believe that. Also said hes getting 14 towing 15k#'s...I think hes getting a little heavy on the sauce.

The only thing that makes it a tough decision, is the Ford is a much comfier better built truck. Dodge is definitely much better than it ued to be, but still isnt up all the way.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Well since you didn't ask about the d-max - I have no comment!

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yeh you should look at the D-max.

9. Clean N Green

Clean N Green LawnSite Member

I wont buy a GM i just cant either dodge or ford sorry no GM products for me

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

You know Cummins is a good engine, and the new HD body style sure does look nice.