What diesel to put in my Toyota?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Mar 20, 2009.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

As you all know I have been plagued with a bunch of problems with my 22RE in my 86' 4Runner. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed the electrical gremlins down and should have it fixed by tomorrow night. My friend just blew the 22R up in his 84' truck and wants to pay me $200 for mine. I want to put a little turbo diesel in mine but the 2.4L-D I4 and 2.8L-D are hard to find in my area. So what would you guys recommend? I was looking at Volkswagen diesels on line last night. I'm also not worried about going fast. This truck gets trailered to the woods and also will be getting dual transfer cases to spin 36" TSL's

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

my dad bought a v-dub diesel for the business for his guys to do work about 1.5 hours away. It gets 50+mpg highway. I was blown away. IF you could pull that off, that would be insane. Its stick too.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

4BT Cummins!!!

4. jtslawncare

jtslawncare LawnSite Member

I got a buddy that pretty much builds his trucks from scratch.. He has a toyota and had a cummins in it

5. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone who buys a toyota is unamerican blast away... I hope you know im kidding...well partially

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

That would be sick even though it weighs like 900lbs. I had a friend that was gonna go with a 6BT in his 89 YJ Jeep.

7. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TXNS a 4BT cummins would be sick! Sometimes you can find them pretty cheap if someone is parting out an old bread delivery truck.

8. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Another 4bt vote! Just think of all the torque. I can see where weight would be an issue.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A Nissan diesel if you can find one a 4BT Cummins isn't going to go too big you will have problems getting enough cooling capacity etc.

Nissan makes a 4 banger diesel it came in some Nissan trucks. You would have to find one with transmission and all and use a Atlas transfercase and divorce mount it. Or find adaptors to fit the stock transfer case to the Nissan transmission.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Benz diesel buddy. Try a 240d engine its only 65 hp, but will pull your trailer no problem; however, you wont break any land speed records.