What do call too windy to spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Apr 26, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just curious what other say when it's "too windy" to spray...5....10....15mph???

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

when you cant keep your product on target its time to call it a day
  3. when it keeps blowing your hat off.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

10 mph is when the MDA shuts us down, here. Even at these speeds, it's risky, especially when you're only spraying 1 gal./M like we do. There is nothing like the feeling of coming up to a corner of a building and wanting to stop spraying to ensure you are not going going to catch a corner gust and put all that stuff in your face and all over you. It DOES happen!
  5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks! Today it was about 15mph and gusting to about 22mph. Lady calls today wondering where I was, so I told her the situation. She didn't seem to be too concerned about it being too windy, she just wanted it done. Same lady that paid me $300 last fall to overseed and didn't put an ounce of water to it. With some people I feel I am just wasting my time and their money...oh well.
  6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to tell her that the law is the law and you follow it.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Those were my words exactly!!!
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Low spray pressure and large water droplets do not drift haft as much as the high pressure spray does. Large droplets stay wetter longer and can be absorb better foliar.

If you want to make better time increase your tip size, but keep your pressure low. Helps on windy day also.

I see too high of pressure as the biggest mistake new guys make.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

IS SHE GOING TO PAY YOUR FINE? I've been putting many customers off do to high winds we've had in last week. Tomorrow they are calling for 20's w/ gusts in 30's. Today we had TEENS gust to mid-20's. Had 1 customer begging me to come today, but at same time she was wanting me to GUARANTEE that none of her flowers would die?!? :eek:

I finally told her she'd have to wait for me until next week or winds died down. I'M RUNNING MY BUSINESS, NOT SOME WHACKY DAME THAT DOESN'T KNOW SH!T.

10. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Great point Grassmasters! What about your liability in the windy situation? You're just asking for a neighbor to ask for compensation for that dead rosebush from last year.