What do I call these rings in the pic? burn out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Feb 10, 2002.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

This is some great mowing here! lol. There must be a name for this. I have just called it burning the grass. I saw a neighbor that did this and took a pic of it.

Jason

messed up lawn.jpg

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's scalping. There are 2 uneven surfaces here and this person straddled them with the mower. This is sloppy work.

3. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I took this pic so when I hire someone I can say this is what I don't want. I tried to get the neighbor to use me for his lawn service since he didn't have one. He refused but go figure.

Jason

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Rotory mower on short grass, bad idea. This is why they make reel mowers.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like the result of bouncing the mower up and down as he was going.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he must have been mowing left to right and back again, Every time he came to the sidewalk and the front mower wheels droped off onto that low sidewalk the deck "scalped" , no dug in to the grass for a second. then he turned around on the walk and the same thing happend when the front wheels went up on the grass again. I think he hould notice after the first pass.:confused:

7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep The Groundskeeper is correct the mower is scalping as it goes from the concrete onto the grass,as the rear wheels come up onto the grass the scalping stops,hence the circle is not complete.If thats not the answer call Mulder and Scully cause he's got lawncircles.........
    You can cut grass short without scalping but it takes practise....

stowers lowest.jpg

8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

If you do that on every lawn,

kerrieee ponch2.jpg