1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what do i do for health insurance/taxes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cntryboymc, May 9, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

as some of you guys know,i have been a part-timer while also working as a mechanic at a ford dealer.i was told by my boss this past week that due to a need to save money,my salaried position
    is being eliminated.i am going to most likely quit because i dont want to work flat rate in a shop with so little work.i am not the type to stand around either.my lawn/landscape business on the other hand is going absolutely crazy.i worked 11 hrs yesterday and pulled in $500.i only take home $400/wk as a mechanic.i was wondering what you guys all do and the amount you pay for health insurance.any good companies to contact?my accountant has never really asked for anything on my business other than year end gross dollar amounts.should i speak with him for requirements on sales tax,social security,etc?how much is everyone paying for liability insurance?
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi cntryboymc,

Here is a health insurance post that may be helpful.

Best of luck to you on your business!
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Health insurance will vary depending on whether you're married or not and/or with kids. I have a very good HMO plan with Horizon BC/BS that costs me personally about $385 a month (which is entirely deductable) from the business as an expense.

Liability insurance will vary as well. I've seen coverage limits as little as 300K to 2M for most of us here. It will also vary depending on the amount of inland marine coverage (theft) you have for your equipment (based upon total equipment value).

Hope that helps some and best of luck...
  4. cntryboymc

i got $1MILLION liability with $10,000 coverage on my ztr for a year for$650.im still shopping for health insurance though.
  5. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

I got single health coverage through NASE National Association Self Employed. I pay $220 a month with a perscription card. I have not used the service before. My father is a family doctor here in town. I just was worried if something serious was to happen. I bought 1 million liability coverage that includes rented and barrowed equipment with a vehicle rider to cover our truck while we drive it for commerical use and we paid $650 yr.
  6. cntryboymc

thanks for the info!
  7. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

8. cntryboymc

thanks for the info!
  9. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

i worked 11 hrs yesterday and pulled in $500.i only take home $400/wk as a mechanic

Hey there country boy, How many lawns are you mowing in 11 hours and how big are they (approximately). I am in the same boat down here in Ithaca.
  10. cntryboymc

the lawns take about 40 minutes each to do complete.