1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do I do with the leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Sep 15, 2005.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this one account, its an every other week account. Elderly couple, nice people until lately, they've been giving me a hard time. They never water their yard and with the drought leaves are dropping like crazy. Now this week there was a large amount of leaves in the driveway, walk, and curbline, I started blowing the driveway off (now with the owner watching me, since he comes out every time watches me, moves the cars out of the driveway, now i dont know about you but i dont like to be watched, not that change how i do my job its jus a PITA, I dont like it, plus every time the guy has to comment or ask for something or complain) I start blowing off the driveway blowing the leaves back up into the lawnhe stops me, says what you dont wanna pick them up so your doing that, I say no sir theres a good amount of leaves here and if you want i will gladly take them away for an extra price. Dont you have a catcher with your mower you can pick them up or somethin...yes but that will cost you extra sir...it wasnt included in your estimate you can check (i give all my customers an outline of the services to be performed exactly, mowing trimming blowing....if you want collection youll get it for an extra fee.) He starts huffin and puffin forget it just leave em there then. I shut off my blower and left the driveway and curb line like it was. Would yall have done anything differently or what? I mean for all of us its kinda hard times, Guys in my area are sellin out and droppin like flies because overhead is huge with the gas prices and people not wanting to pay extra fees, losing customers to cheaper people. So what is yall's opinion.

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:angry: Hey jeff, i would have done the same thing, i HATE to be watched or told how to do something. tony
  3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaves are starting to come down here too and I do the same thing blow a few back onto the lawn. I admit it does not look very nice but I figure I'll mulch them up next week and thats better than twice as many in the street/drive next week.
  4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I blow the drive first. Then mow and after I am done I blow again. Does not take that much longer.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

;) wow is that the price of gas down there, how old is that pic? tony
  6. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I have the same problem w/leaves. But i haven't had any complaint Yet..
    Most of the times, i will try to blow them to the street (when it is posible).
    Next year, i will inform my cleints that if they want me to bag the leaves during the hot months or after the storm, it will be extra charge.

I was thinking, $8 per bag, but not sure on the price yet.
  7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I timed myself the other day. It added about 12 min to put on the bagger attachments and pick up about 1/2 bag of material unload the bag tie it up and place it next to their garage. This did not include removal of my bagger from my machine, nor disposal of the bag. I am going to charge $10 per bag and for that price I think my customers will expect disposal. I will write in $10 per bag with disposl included to the contract next year, that ammount will be a hinder to my $/hour but anything more I believe will look bad in writing.

Whenever possible I will simply cut more often that 7 days to avoid bagging which was not in my contract but will be next year also.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well it's just pre-cum leaves, ride in circles with the discharge facing in until they're gone is what I do.
  9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Well,it is that time of the year when I put on the muclching kit only to take it off for one big yard with tall grass. Then put it back on to start the cycle over again. I dropped three big jobs (one advantage of no contract) hoping that maybe I could do the rest with the kit on. I may try it Sat. on the one remaining large account and just see if I can do it also. Sure is nice to be able to dispose of the leaves when you come to them. Yes, I also have had good success with cutting everything to the middle(without the kit on) and then just keep cutting them and the grass clippings, and you can make them "disappear", it just takes a little time. It is still better than raking and/or bagging. Good luck NNJLandman with the leaves, they can be a pain for sure.
  10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well lost that account. Cut it today I did as I always do cut, trim, blow. He had me blow all the leaves into his driveway so he has about a foot of leaves in his driveway. I did then then he comes over "We wont need the yard cut anymore" "okay" threw the blower n the truck n left.