What do I do with the leaves?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jmq, Oct 5, 2006.

1. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

This is my first year in business and I was wondering what you do before all the leaves fall, but there are so many that they make the cut look horrible!!! I have been using my bagger, but this is very time consuming. Does anyone have any other suggestions????:dizzy:

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

You can blow them in a pile and pick them up in a tarp and throw them into the back of the truck. Blow them into the woods if that is an option. Blow them into the beds and wait until they are all down, then pick them up. Make sure to cut the lawns shorter then normal before there are too many. Better for the lawn and easier to blow the leaves.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I will usually run the mower over them and shred them to reduce the volume as much as possible. Then I will bag the remaining leaves up either with the mower and grass gobbler or with my billy goat.

If you have a lot of leaves to get rid of, you might see if any local farms, nurseies, or dealers have dump areas. I know 1 of the dealers round me has a dump area but I use the farm that I get my mulch and plants from.

4. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

J&R has the right idea,I dump all of my leaves and grass clippings at a guys house close to mine that owns and operates a tree nursery.After going thru the deck of my Lazer and Cyclone Rake and then my leaf loader they are mulched up very well.He uses them for mulch around his saplings.If you can find a nursery in your area,they may take them.:)

5. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Very small amounts of leaves I just shred. There's nothing wrong with a little compost on the yard. But when it becomes a visible problem you can find out whether there is street sweeping around that area and just blow them in a pile by the curb. Bagging is a PITA and I usually save it for the last cut or two of the season. However if the customer doesn't mind paying extra for you to bag it, you can go that route.

6. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

This time of the year is the pits. I want all the leaves down or none at all. Small amounts, I just cut over them, sometimes twice to further chop them up. For larger amounts, on largere areas, I will cut with my ZTR shooting towards the centre from both sides of the lawn, then suck up the remaing 6 or 8' strip with my bagger mower. This way I don't get all the grass from the entire lawn and the leaves are somewhat chopped up so more go in the bag. Takes a little longer than a normal cut but not near as long as if I bag the entire lawn. I hate bagging and avoid it with a passion.

It's amazing how many people think that leaf collection should be considered part of regular lawn cutting. I informed my customers last spring, in writing, that leaf clean-up that takes longer than a normal cut will be billed extra according time taken. So far I haven't had to.

7. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

I think your doing the right thing. I am in Virginia, and my customers like that I don't just chop them up. I like the clean look when I leave.

S3

8. MANICURED LAWNS

MANICURED LAWNS LawnSite Member

Depending on you location may be a public site for dumping lawn materials, its a life saver for me and my profits, there is no charge they use it for compost then sell the compost. Sucks that mon-sat its only open 1-3 but definately saves me money and I'll take what I can get.