What do i do?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Raven386, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I have just stumbled upon this forum and have already found a ton of stuff! i just had a question though. I have just gotten a job where the lawn is full of thatch and dead in some places. the dead spots come up and are detached from the underlying soil. my question is... what do i need to do to get this lawn growing again? this is my first job like this and i cannot let this one slip away! should i rent a renovator or thatcher? i dont know the sq ft of the place but the yard is of decent size. i also have no idea on how to charge for a job like this?

i have a 48" w/b mower... is there an attachment that could go on the front of one of those? or thatching blades or something? or is there an actualy Thatching Machine i could rent?
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the money get a jrcho dethatcher attachment for the walk behind. close to 450-500. Or you could buy a power rake. it may be alittle more and harder to use but more versitle and it can be easy to chew up the lawn if you're not aware of how to use it. The powerrake can be rented if you don't want to lay out the expense. And a blower would be good also. a nice backpack or large walkbehind. The place may have grubs. If your new ask a local landscape co. for ideas. Some guys are aholes but there are some really nice guys out there that are willing to help you out. It's hard giving you a price on here because not sure the kid of equip. you have or anything about the property.
  3. Raven386

from CT

My mower is a lesco 48" w/b, I have an echo 751T backpack blower. The yard is on a very slight hill, relatively flat (no dips or sink holes). There is no signs of grub activity. I appreciate the help, thanks a lot!
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

honestly you're over your head on this. if its as bad as it seems then a total rip out and start over is the way to go.
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

have a good fertilizer guy take a look at it , it sounds like grubs and posssibly soil also, do a soil test, then dethatch if thick and reseed topdress aerate.
  6. Raven386

from CT

im almost finished with it..i ripped up a decent amount of the lawn and the other parts were fine... found out the client had to have new lines ran from his house down to the street and they used fill... so anyways i started today and i am finishing monday... thanks everyone for your advice!!