1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What do I do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane Nelson, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

Yesterday, One of my clients told my worker they didnt think the grass needed mowed,then they said go ahead.When finished the lawn maintenance the home owner said they might skipo next week,and they would call.I think theyer price should go up if they are gonna be call in customers.Please tell me your oppinions.Thankyou in advance-----------SHANE NELSON.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would tell them to call only if they don't want their grass cut. I would rather have them call and say they don't want it cut then to drive to the site and then find out they don't want it cut.

Also you can explain to them that if they are going to call you every time they want it cut that you will not be able to cut it on any kind of scheduled day. You will get to them when you have the time.

I like my customers to be on a specific day so I can balance my schedule.
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

first check out the "one of those days...weeks...months" thread by turfguy33.

consider doing something at their property just to justify your visit. Trim, edge, pull weeds, cut some dead branches, etc. then charge them what you normally would. I rarely give out free cuts, all of my customers are on monthly price contracts.

in fact, with the monthly price, some customers get 5 cuts in certain months. i don't charge more in these months, so why should i charge less if a customer gets three cuts?

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Hey bubbleboy- wish I could get my customers to agree to a monthly charge this year. Then I'd get paid while I was at the ocean next week. So dry here, I haven't cut many lawns in 2 weeks!!! In may I was doin' them every 5 days. Now we know there are shady areas that will grow a bit while the dormant areas can stop for a month or more. Tell me, would any of you charge them the full price when just touching up small areas? How would you explain the charge to the customer?
  5. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

My philosophy is that in the spring it grows so hard and fast that we spend more time at a customers property to get the lawn done. This time of year it's not growing at the same rate, but it still needs to be mowed. I don't charge them more in the Spring and I won't charge less in the summer.
  6. Nick

Nick Banned

yes grapevine because you profit and loss evens out. That is why I sign up people for a 30 cuts per season and still mow it even if it is all browned out. If they don't want the 30 cuts I tell them I will charge a price accordin to the hieght of the grass.
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

I always send the full bill. to get away with doing so i will do something to improve the prop when im there. Trim, even out hedges, etc.

if a customer still complains, then i tell them how often i double cut or bag their lawn in the spring, or bag their leaves in the fall-with no extra charges.

when my guys skip (i tell them to only do so if its extremely dry) and i get a call i tell the customer "i'll check the list and look into the problem." i dont usually hear back from them and they usually pay the whole bill at months end. Perhaps i've just been lucky.

to avoid the problem i jack up the wheels before the lawn starts to turn brown

basically i will do anything to get my dollars and cents at the end of the month;)