What do I do...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastTnLC, May 1, 2007.

1. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

I have been asked to give a quote on cleaning up weeds growing through a parking lot. All that will be included is weed eating and blowing. The area is 180' in Length and 36' in Width. They only want from the sidewalk to around the end of the yellow line at the parking spaces, which is around 36' wide. Can anyone give a rough estimate on this job. The business does not use this parking lot, but the owner would like to make it look a little better. How would you even quote something like this? Thanks in advance!

A bunch of Pics, so bear with me..

Disregard the car, it was in my way. Also, the quote is for the weeds in the cracks only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

How long do you think it will take you?

3. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these pics are good enough! :laugh:

4. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Maybe 4 to 5 hours; it is a DETAIL job, that why it will take so long.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

I would price accordingly. Plus I believe you will eat up a good amount of trimmer line doing this job. How often does he want it maintained after you get it cleaned up?

6. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Yeah, I dont even want to think how much line I'll go through. This is just a one time job.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

If you thik that it will take you 5 hours then I would bill it out for 5 hours, or actually 5.5 hours because if you think 5 it is probably 5.5 or 6. Unless that is what you were already thinking when you said 4 to 5. However, with the price of gas, how much line you will use, if you think 5 bill for it.

If they bulk at the price give them an explanation for your price if you feel like it. If you don't get it, it is better to walk away and make no money then to take on a job that cost you money. So, 5 hours at your hourly rate that you charge. Do you feel comfortable with that?

8. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

@ $15 hr x 2 people x 5 hrs. = $150 not including materials. Do you think that that is reasonable or through the roof?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense, but I'd be all for grabbing the backpack sprayer and loading up with Round-up on this one, brother I'd be through that in 1-2 hours or so, make sure you got an extra 5-gallon can or two of pre-mixed stuff and gtg, $120? Now this is one crap job I'd love to have, that is, so long the owner can stand to wait a few weeks for the stuff to die off, heck with it, mix a little on the heavy side.
    You'd likely run through somewhere between 4 to maybe 8 gallons of pre-mixed, buy the concentrate at $100 / gallon of super (makes at least 80 gallons of mix), so we're talking maybe $10 or $15 in material costs...

I'm not even so sure it would take much more than an hour, but idk, kinda hard to tell, make sure do it on a calm, sunny day.

Now if you don't got a backpack sprayer, heh, they get a bit pricey (like $80 for one).

The worst thing is, you'd want to go back through in about 2 weeks to make sure you didn't miss any, but other than that...
    And no, I think your price is in line also.

10. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

We talked about that and he would rather spray it later but as of right now he wants it out of there.