WHat do i do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Apr 29, 2004.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I am just starting out, and need to get a commercial mower, but i am undecided whether to get a walk behind or a zero turn. If i go with a zero turn, then it will have to be small, as i am only going to do residential areas, I was looking at the Hustler Mini Z, but i don't know if it will fit in gated areas, is there anything else i should be looking at, I really need help if anyone has any opinions please let me know.

Tim's Lawn Care Service:confused:

:confused:

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

If you are just starting out with only small residential lawns you should buy either a 36 or a 48 inch. No need to spend all that money and not make it back untill the end of the year. And for a wb i highly suggest Bobcat.

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were in your position, starting out and doing just residentials, if you only can budget for one nice mower, I'd go for a 32" hydro WB. It will guarantee to access to all backyards, although it will be less than most productive on the larger properties ( but you;ll have one mower that can do it all and will eliminate a 21"). Then you can get a 60" ZTR to increase efficiency later on. BTW, that describes my setup (except my WB is belt), which I feel is perfect (for my needs). But whatever you get, buy the best and buy it once (i.e. hydro WB vs. belt), because it will be with you for a long, long time.

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely right on the button ******. I could not agree with you more heartedly! I wish i would have had that EXACT advice when i started out. I would have saved alot of money over the years. IMO there is no better advice touhey33. I would take that and run with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Acute Cut

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! It blurbed out P..Ker's name when i wrote it. Too funny! Listen to the guy that posted right above my first post.

6. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. Are there any brands you would suggest, i was looking at exmark, scag, john deere and hustler.

7. Acute Cut

Best advice on that is this, do a search on each machine or brand name or whatever. Spend a couple hours reading here. Everyone has useful tidbits of info.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark and Toro are about the only ones that offer a 32". There may be one or two more brands that do, not sure. Just make sure that when you purchase you have a good dealer for parts and service. The best mower in the world is useless without that. Personally I've had the BEST experiences with Deere equipment and Deere dealers. That won't help you much for your WB, but keep Deere in mind for your 2-cycles. FYI, If I had to buy a new 32" right now, today, it'd be the Exmark Viking hydro 32 with 15hp Kawasaki. BTW, Kawasaki makes a great engine!