What do I need for final grading?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Kubota BX-1500 compact tractor and would like to be able to do some small final grading jobs with it.

Can someone explain to me what the process is for doing this kind of work? What attachments I would need? Do I need a box blade or should I get a rock rake and blade? Or all three?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Rototiller too... maybe?

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The rough grade should be within +/- 1 inch of where finish grade should end up.... SHOULD be, being the key words. If it's not, you will want/need a box blade.

Otherwise, we've had good luck with a pulverizer and a landscape rake. You might want to consider a "quick-tach" to switch between attachments quickly. They may be expensive to begin with (ours was around $225), but it will pay for itself in time and frustration saved!

Dan

4. husky125

husky125 LawnSite Member

I'd get a box blade and soil pulverizer. I've got a regular rear blade and tiller for my JD 4400 and still can't get the finish I want. You need the pulverizer to level and lightly compact the soil after tilling.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Little off topic here.... We must use different terms here.

Rough grade here is about 10 cm below finished grade and you must first have a certificate saying it passed "rough grade inspection" before we come in to do final grade.... we do our thing and then a final grade inspection is needed.

Most times we are confident enough to completely finish and then have the homeowners call for final grade inspection. If it is not so straight forward with some tricky drainage issues we may call them in before sod, rock or whatever is needed to finish.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

May I suggest a laser level for finish grade. I know that it might sound a little too high tech for landscaping, but for lawns and drainage, there's no better tool. Plus, since you're not guessing, you can finish the job confident in knowing that it was done correctly and quickly.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would second the laser level. We didn't have one last year and it caused some troubles for us at one site in particular. However, if the rough grade was where it SHOULD have been, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Here, when a house is built, the lot is bulldozed to achieve a "rough" grade. As I stated earlier, this rough grade should be within +/- 1 inch of where finish/final grade should be. Meaning when it rains before seeding, the water should flow away from the home and not have any major ponding.

Finish grade is basically working up the rough grade to achieve an acceptable seedbed.

HTH.

Kris- where are you located at exactly?

Dan

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get a york rake for it and hopefully you have the bucket on the front and your set, I wouldn't get anything else.

Jeff

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

10. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

We use a pulverizer and landscape for 95% of our finish grading.

I am intrigued by the TR3 rake, but would like to see it in action on a job site before purchasing.