What do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SilentSnipper, Apr 30, 2007.

1. SilentSnipper

SilentSnipper LawnSite Member

Hello guys and gals. I have a question that you are probably tired of answering, but I this one might be different so hear me out. I am mowing 3 yards. Yes that's right 3 yards. Two businesses and on residential yard. My question is do I need to register as a business? I assume that I would be a sole prop. and I would just claim all income on my personal income tax papers. I am the only person that is working in the business. I just want to be in compliance with Indiana law. One more question. What equipment can be a tax write of if any. If I bought a small trailer and a lawnmower can this be a business expense write of. Thanks in advance.

2. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

i would think you would be an llc i think i remember sole propietership being something else but yeah you would claim all of what you make on your taxes and you should start charging sales tax unless you like giving away a percent. anything you buy is a deduction ie gas. but you can depreciate things but it only makes sense on real expensive stuff other wise you just expense it. my friend is an account. i keep an accurrate book he does the taxes. costs me 150 dollars. you dont really have to claim it all but id get paid cash. but those commercial accounts r writting you off. plus acura tl window 480 dollars, subaru fender and door hit by plow 1500 dollars, having insurance priceless. ( my bro didnt claim the window didnt make the deduct) my buddies guy ran down a fiberglass street light pole at a parking lot with a z turn, exmark makes a mean deck

3. SilentSnipper

SilentSnipper LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an accountant that is going to work with me, but I wanted some input before I talked with them. I opened up a checking a savings account under my Lawn Care name. i.e. Smith Lawn Care. I did this just to keep accurate book work of my spending etc. Do I need to register the business? I don't want to mow lawns full time. I am just mowing these three lawns to to add money to my daughters college fund. The commercial accounts are writing me of as a business expense. This is why I just want to make sure that I am in check with Uncle Sam.